Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Should there be a hardware forum?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Should we have a hardware forum
(No ending time set)
Yes
77%
 77%  [ 14 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
I don't really care...
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

wtd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

JHanson90 wrote:
This is sort of making the posts all off-topic, but in response, what language would you recommend? I mentioned a while back that O'Caml was next on my list, but you've mentioned multiple times that it was hard for you to learn, or it "blew your mind." Sort of discouraging, me not even having a year's experience in programming. Eiffel, maybe, umm... Java, no, ... hmm .... ?

Well, O'Caml isn't as much hard to learn as it is different. If you're used to thinking in one way, O'Caml can be different enough to cause problems. Of course, it does have the interactive interpreter, which is wonderful for learning.

A good one to learn might be Python. I have a Python basics thread in General Programming. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
JHanson90

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Well, O'Caml isn't as much hard to learn as it is different. If you're used to thinking in one way, O'Caml can be different enough to cause problems. Of course, it does have the interactive interpreter, which is wonderful for learning.

Python might be ok. O'Reilly has a book on Programming Python, so learning it should be a snap. How useful is it? I haven't heard of many programs written in it. Also, although it's supposed to be interpreted, can it be compiled? All of the languages that I've been working with are scripting languages, and now Python included. I'd like some variety from that Smile
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Python is compiled to an intermediate bytecode representation, similar to Java. In contrast, Ruby and Perl5 take the approach of interpreting the syntax tree that results from parsing your code. Both Ruby and Perl are moving (eventually) to virtual machine based approaches, similar to Python's. By the way, don't take this to mean there is a separate compile and run step. Running Python programs is as easy as running Ruby programs.

Python is becoming wildly popular. Google, for instance, requires programmers they hire to know Java, but to make sure they're not just the result of a "Java for dummies" book, they also require a knowledge of Python. Industrial Light and Magic also uses Python heavily internally.

In addition to books on the issue, there is a great deal of information available online for learning Python.

It's a good language. Not as well-designed as Ruby by any means, but currently more popular, and still eminently useful.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

come on guys, leave some room for the discussion about a hardware forum. Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
come on guys, leave some room for the discussion about a hardware forum. Laughing

Forums that don't go wildly off-topic don't deserve to be on the internet. Wink
josh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

compwis I lke your sig Very Happy
apomb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

haha, thanks. gotta love the LOTR theme of your avatar!
but about the HARDWARE forum

see, i stay on topic! Wink
josh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i dunno, I jsut am aobbsessed with LOTR and I think Gollum is an amaizing character (both how he is described in the book and how they brought him to life in the movie)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: