Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer doesnt beep.
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Neo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:20 pm   Post subject: Computer doesnt beep.

Sometimes when I turn my computer on it does not beep. When it works correctly it usually beeps once. But sometimes it doesnt beep and nothing shows up on the monitor. I checked if it was my hard drive but it is not beucase I tested it with 2 hard drives. I think it may be the video card but how do I check if my video card works if I only have 1? But I know the video card works because Im using it right now.

Oh and if I keep turning the computer on and off for a while, usually for about 15 minutes the computer will eventually turn on and everything will work fine. This is weird, does anyone know why? I hate having to turn the power on and off until I get a beep...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not sure exaclty whats goin on.. but i guess it has something to do with connections.. my suggestion will be unplug everything and plug it back and see if ur mobo/bios has any problems
Neo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I reseated everything, Video card, ram, network card, ribbon cables, power, and everything else but still the same...
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

might be your jumpers...

does your mobo get power when you turn it on? (check if the fans start to spin)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Neo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think my jumpers are set right because the computer will turn on after many tries. If they are set on wrong then teh computer should not even work so I dont think its the jumpers. The fans work. Any other suggestions.
templest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sounds like a power issue. I had an old-school PowerPC I found one day for $50 at a garage sale, but it would take several tries to get it starting up. After a lot of poking around I finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't sucking enough electricity for it to boot up properly, so after a bunch of tries, it would boot up somehow but it would be severely unstable. I bought a new power-supply for it and all was well. I don't know, but the problem you descreibe resembles that which I used to have, might be that someone flicked the voltage switch on the back of the box, or you may need a new power box.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

templest wrote:
Sounds like a power issue. I had an old-school PowerPC I found one day for $50 at a garage sale, but it would take several tries to get it starting up. After a lot of poking around I finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't sucking enough electricity for it to boot up properly, so after a bunch of tries, it would boot up somehow but it would be severely unstable. I bought a new power-supply for it and all was well. I don't know, but the problem you descreibe resembles that which I used to have, might be that someone flicked the voltage switch on the back of the box, or you may need a new power box.

Was it an Apple PowerPC box, a clone (Umax, Motorola, Daystar), or a BeBox?
Neo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

templest wrote:
Sounds like a power issue.

I can hear all the fans humming and the cd rom and cd rw drives even works so it cant be the power supply...Im starting to think maybe the CPU...dammit I hope its not the CPU...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
templest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
templest wrote:

Was it an Apple PowerPC box, a clone (Umax, Motorola, Daystar), or a BeBox?

Like I said, old school PowerPC Beige tower. Since I got my new PowerBook I threw that one out. Wink So I can't get you the exact model #.
Leftover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

99% of the time, if theres a problem with the CPU, it either works, or doesn't. That 1% I've only seen with intel. Check your temps when it does finally boot up, load fail safe defaults and try on those if it works for a day or so.
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm i think it mite be the mobo.. my friend had a similiar experience.. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt..
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: