Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Bitching about the curriculum
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

When you get into university, you realize that you learned important things in a lot of the 'secondary' courses in highschool. Unfortunately, you also realize that these things are things that you could have taught yourself in about an hour.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:
When you get into university, you realize that you learned important things in a lot of the 'secondary' courses in highschool. Unfortunately, you also realize that these things are things that you could have taught yourself in about an hour.

As with many things, it ends up being the experience that's the most valuable.

If only in teaching you what not to do.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

KC 40oz wrote:
Oh, i assumed it was greek.
Sounds greek
Is there a CompSci.ca irc server/channel?

There is now!! Please come, it's too empty atm ;_;

Info is in my sig =) And Coustos' sig, come to think of it.
md

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Most of the time i spent in my programming classes (ITT something, and ICS whatever) I spent teaching myself how to do things that interested me. About once a week I'd get an assignment (which i'd do in about 10 minutes), but it was really teaching myself stuff that made the classes great. That and having a competent teacher who actually worked in the industry before teaching...

Anyway my advise to anyone taking programming is to be glad that you have such a good chance to teach yourself stuff, just think it could be worse... you could be taking gym Razz

Besides, from what I gather everyone here programs on PCs. When I did programming I was taught pascal (a very nice language) on a PowerPC (mac). Unfortunatly my school was too cheap to get a good dev enviroment nad compiler so we got to compile to 68000 code, which was then interpreted by the computer IN SOFTWARE. Needless to say, 3D rendering was VERY slow...
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
Besides, from what I gather everyone here programs on PCs.

A majority do use Windows, and many of others are Linux users.

However, today is very different from then. Open source has resulted in widespread availability of good compilers and interpreters.
templest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

My CompSci teacher play Counter-Strike and Quake. C'mon, that's awsome. Razz
md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:

However, today is very different from then. Open source has resulted in widespread availability of good compilers and interpreters.

Most schools wont use open source software unless they can get someone to provide support for it. I tried for two years to try to get my school to teach programming in C++ or even pascal, so long as it was on a PC, and they wouldn't because it was to expensive to get a site licence for MSVC or Borland, and they coudn't get support for any of the free compilers.

Maybe you guys have had better experiences, but from mine I'd say that just cause it's free doesn't mean schools will use it.
Mr. Glib

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

templest wrote:
My CompSci teacher play Counter-Strike and Quake. C'mon, that's awsome. Razz

Really? Shouldn't he be spending every waking moment breathing, sleeping, eating curriculum?

Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
wtd wrote:

Most schools wont use open source software unless they can get someone to provide support for it. I tried for two years to try to get my school to teach programming in C++ or even pascal, so long as it was on a PC, and they wouldn't because it was to expensive to get a site licence for MSVC or Borland, and they coudn't get support for any of the free compilers.

Maybe you guys have had better experiences, but from mine I'd say that just cause it's free doesn't mean schools will use it.

Perhaps not, though the problem in that case might very well have been a lack of standards in either of those two languages. Schools often don't like teaching languages if they think what they're teaching will soon be irrelevant.

In either case, the presence of good open-source compilers, and information online means you can teach yourself. Smile
md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Erm... what lack of standards... C++, and pascal both have strong standards, and are certainly not soon to be irrelavent...

FYI MSVC = Microsoft Visual C++, Borland = Borland C++
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
Erm... what lack of standards... C++, and pascal both have strong standards, and are certainly not soon to be irrelavent...

Yes, but those standards are still relatively new, and are not necessarily well implemented by many compiers. Both of the compilers you mentioend are not strong on standards compliance.
md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Not to get off topic but...

The reason the school didn't buy MSVC or Borland was because it would have cost too much (so the school claimed), and the school wouldn't use an open source compiler because of the lack of professional support for the open source compilers. The schools problem was NOT with the languages (as they were using pascal) it was with the lack of PROFESSIONAL (as in they pay for it) support.

Anyway my point was not about the development enviroments themselves, but the lack of support for free ones, and schools reluctance to trust anything free.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, that's silly. Why would you need "support" for a compiler?
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what if it umm... doesn't compile something Laughing haha, silly schools Rolling Eyes
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Something I've noticed about the world: If it doesn't make sense people will do it.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 4  [ 53 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: