Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Bitching about the curriculum
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
KC 40oz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:56 pm   Post subject: Bitching about the curriculum

Ontario schools seem to baby the idiotic kids who took BTT 101 just because they like chatting on MSN. That course was definitely a waste of time. I had an idiotic teacher that knew less about computers than me, and just 'taught' me to use word. Who doesn't know how to use word!?
This year, in CompSci i spent the first month learning about hardware. Sorry, REVIEWING hardware. This class should be for people who know about computers and are interested in programming, not ignorant fools taking the class so they don't have to do any physical activity. Also, this ergonomics bullshit pisses me off. It is so ridiculous. I also want to thank the few of you who hosted the turing files. My school is cheap and does not have the distro license. May I add that i just started the actual programming today, apparently we need a month to review hardware Mad
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sorry to break it to you, but you'll be seeing this kind of crap untill 2nd year of university... actually you'll be lucky if your highschool doesn't scrap the CS program all together or in part Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, if you're actually interested in computer science, it'll probably be a while before you learn something new about it at school. Luckily you've found this website, where you'll learn new things to show off to everybody you know.

But ergonomics is pretty important actually. Boring to learn about in class, but it is important.
KC 40oz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not that i expect much from the public school system, but it is kind of ridiculous
i could probably learn more and faster than i do at school, online
also, whats with all the dumb kids? Laughing
EDIT-> Well i was pushing for C++, but my teacher said hes done it a few times, and everybody failed. I do not know C++, nor do i know any other language (i've dabbled in mIRC scripting but thats hardly a language) but i was pretty confident i wouldnt bomb it, however i can see more than half the class doing so
Then he wanted to do pascal or vb, though he said vb would be too easy to click and add functions and such, and we wouldnt really learn anything.
So he wanted to do pascal but the school doesnt have a copy, so he was stuck with turing, though he doesnt know turing he thinks he can pick it up quickly
i wanted to do C++ Razz
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

KC 40oz wrote:
i could probably learn more and faster than i do at school, online

yes, that's why we're all here Wink
KC 40oz wrote:
also, whats with all the dumb kids?

apparently logical thinking and common sence is not a part of education system's requirements Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

To be fair (um... unfair?) the dumb kids are everywhere. There's really no escaping them. But as you get further, some will drop out of the course, and in later years there will be fewer idiots.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea until you reach a point where.. YOU ARE THE DUMB GUY hehe Laughing haha but trust me its all psychological (or maybe only until you reach that point hmm! )
KC 40oz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
yea until you reach a point where.. YOU ARE THE DUMB GUY hehe Laughing haha but trust me its all psychological (or maybe only until you reach that point hmm! )

riiiiiight i'd like to see the day that happens Laughing
and Coutsos, i'm half greek and your avatar is awesome
feta is the god of cheeses and i have a rough idea of what malaka is, although the exact meaning is unclear to me. Also, i dont know what Coutsos means.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

just call him mazer (although he hates that Very Happy).. pfft "Coutsos", what a complicated name sheesh.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

KC 40oz wrote:
Also, i dont know what Coutsos means.

you'll get it once you start C++ Wink

and umm... I would imagine most not very bright kids dropping out of the CS program after a year or two in university... Highschools will just keep on dumbing it down due to lack of understanding by both the teachers and an average student Confused
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm... I don't know if I should tell you what malaka means. LOL. Do you have any Greek friends? Go to church? (EDIT: yeah, um... don't ask what it is at church, 'k?) They'll probably know. But you probably won't want to ask your parents, it's not a very nice thing to say.

As for Coutsos. It's my name. Might mean something, but then, "Smith" might mean something. Or not. If you care to know (and of course you do), my first name Nikolaos means "Victory of the People"... oh, yes.
And Feta truly does rule.

As for rizzix's "dumb guy" comment, all I need to do is head over to the gamedev.net forums. Well, it's more humbling than embarassing really.

What I'm trying to say (aside from the Greek stuff) is that class will likely be a bitch, but hopefully you can use that time to do other homework and then spend your new found free time learning from the 'net.
KC 40oz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh, i assumed it was greek.
Sounds greek
Is there a CompSci.ca irc server/channel?
EDIT-> I do have a few greek friends. We mostly make fun of the macedonians because it isnt a country (i know i know but shhh)
He told me what it was once, and also said his dad slapped him for saying it
i have trouble remembering what it was.

As for the class, the only productive thing i can do in it is look at sites, because we are using the old white (kinda brown Laughing) IBMs running Win98
the new black machines are used in my second period class which is Communications Technology
lets just say that class isnt the hardest either
Equipped qith quark xpress we make publications!
Also, we had to make a button Laughing
mine consisted of: A picture of cartman i made in illustrator, and a photoshop gradient Smile
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Not yet, but there should be. Doesn't seem like it would take more than 10 minutes of work to put it together. Heck, I'd do it myself if I knew there'd be people willing to go there.
But as it turns out, some mathletes over here (y'know, the kind that think hyori lee is hot) don't know how to use IRC. Wink
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

"was" you mean. yea there was one.. not anymore.
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm... isnt there a free complier for pascal that u guys can use? pascal is actually not bad for starters
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 53 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: