Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 does this board have md5 built in??
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
dsantamassino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:07 pm   Post subject: does this board have md5 built in??

hello,

been a long time since i visited. Mainly im asking mods and Admins for help. Does all boards have md5 hashes built in?? Is it called md5 encryption or md5 decryption?? Is it either 1 where its impossible to crack?? What are the chances of a 16 character password getting cracked on this board?? On all previous boards i have an 6 character password and i got nailed really bad. Try doing a google for my name. Its not funny. Is this true where if md5 is built in doesnt matter long or short the password is it cant get cracked?? What is the security like on this board for getting the board hacked?? Some several questions to think about. Mods or Admins please reply back ASAP. Thanks.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Should it conser me that u are asking thess question about the encertipoin on the pass in the compsci db? lol

Any how if the bord is made and set up right along with the mysql server no one should be able to see the passwords encerpited or not. phpbb uses md5 to encerpted the passwords any how but md5 is not a gr8 enceptiion and could be broken by burtforce. The length of your password is directly related to how long it whould take to berak the enception on it but as i side no one should be able to even see it in the 1st place. Also phpbb is know for it's secuity falws so it is not the saftes thing u could be puting on your site.........
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
dsantamassino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
Should it conser me that u are asking thess question about the encertipoin on the pass in the compsci db? lol

Any how if the bord is made and set up right along with the mysql server no one should be able to see the passwords encerpited or not. phpbb uses md5 to encerpted the passwords any how but md5 is not a gr8 enceptiion and could be broken by burtforce. The length of your password is directly related to how long it whould take to berak the enception on it but as i side no one should be able to even see it in the 1st place. Also phpbb is know for it's secuity falws so it is not the saftes thing u could be puting on your site.........

oh ok i c.. thanx 4 the info.. I appreciated it alot.
octopi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Phpbb uses md5 to make a 'hash' of your password.
Basically a hash, is a ONE-way method of encryption. Basically the theory is, enter password, make a hash, and compare the hash to the known hash stored in the database.

Most kinds of 'encryption' can be brute forced.

Choosing a longer password, with mixed case, and numbers will provide some security against bruteforce.

MD5 is still a pretty good method of hashing, however It is possible for multiple keys to result in the same hash, therefore people suggest using a newer algorithm, however md5 is still good enough for this type of thing.

If your passwords getting taken, its probally because its shitty, or your careless with it. Don't make your password 'password', and other equally stupid ideas.
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There is nothing that can't be broken. The probability of getting it randomly is incredibly low however.
dsantamassino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ladies and gentlement. tell me am i right. Is it called identity theft when stealing user names on the board or what exact r the charges?? I know its a state crime. What r the charges 4 hacking/cracking??
templest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

dsantamassino wrote:
ladies and gentlement. tell me am i right. Is it called identity theft when stealing user names on the board or what exact r the charges?? I know its a state crime. What r the charges 4 hacking/cracking??

ROFL
dsantamassino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

templest wrote:
dsantamassino wrote:

ROFL

yo whats so funny about that?? I dont find it funny.. yo is ur ass goin 2 hack me?? It was some serious questions..
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hehe Laughing,, were u accused for murder? ah or theft. ah! or.. something really bad that there's a case against you? if not.. there is no identity theft as such just a plain internet prank. you could press charges for harrassment, if he/she (the cracker) keep one doing whtever he does.
dsantamassino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:08 am   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
hehe Laughing

come on guys.. Is this a safe board not too be hacked or cracked??
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

read above.. i edited my post pfft. 8) Laughing
dsantamassino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
read above.. i edited my post pfft. 8) Laughing

alright i read it.. I dont think i need anymore replies because what hacker dan said this bard is really well safe.

let me make a simple request.

any mod or admin can do this. I wish 2 request 4 this topic 2 get locked or removed. thanx..
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:49 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Even still, I don't recommend storing your credit card number in your signature.

The internet is a safe enough place, if you are careful. And there are no set charges for hacking; it all depends on the damage done. Just like you wouldn't get in the same trouble for stealing a chocolate bar as you would for stealing a car, computer crimes have variable charges.
dsantamassino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Even still, I don't recommend storing your credit card number in your signature.

The internet is a safe enough place, if you are careful. And there are no set charges for hacking; it all depends on the damage done. Just like you wouldn't get in the same trouble for stealing a chocolate bar as you would for stealing a car, computer crimes have variable charges.

Ok i understand. Now please take care of this topic. orginal poster wants the topic moderated or locked. All questions was answered.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

sorry but topic will be kept open as board policy (we delete only when we see something offensive or completely stupid)... or if untill you get some mod really mad... until then.. the topic will fade away in time.. with the loss of interest... in anycase i have no powers here.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 67 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: