Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 riddles and brain teasers
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
templest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

damed15 wrote:

A certain crime is punishable if attempted but not punishable if committed.

Suicide.

EDIT: Nevermind, attempted suicide is still not a crime.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
templest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

damed15 wrote:
Here is a riddle for you, If your a fan of a series you'll know this and personally i think its a good riddle.

It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
It lies behind stars and under hills,
And empty holes it fills.
It comes first and follows after,
Ends life, kills laughter.

Hydrogen?

You can't see it, smell it, hear it, or feel it.
You can find it underground.
It's the most abundant element in the universe.
Since air is H20 (Di-Hydrogen Oxide), when you dig a hole, there'll still be air in there, and therefore, hydrogen.
It's everywhere, so when you go somewhere it'll already be there. I don't know about the following after.
Hydrogen Bombs kill life--and--laughter.
Maverick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Carbon Monoxide?
templest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Maverick wrote:
Carbon Monoxide?

Is there any proof that Caron Monoxide exists anywhere but in earth? Although it does make sense. Hm, I don't know. Damed will have to clear that one up.
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

templest wrote:
Since air is H20 (Di-Hydrogen Oxide), when you dig a hole, there'll still be air in there, and therefore, hydrogen.

I don't want to brag about my leet chemistry skillz but... Wink

Anyways,
omg spoiler warning!!! wrote:

Haven't you people read the hobbit? A great story, really.

Solutions in order (as asked by damed15):
Dark
Fish
Mountain
Time

I had to provide the spoiler warning just because I've already given a hint (as has damed15, kind of) of where to get the answers. But yes, those were really good ones.

Quote:
What has Four legs at the Morning,
Two in the afternoon,
And three in the evening?

Man (baby crawls on hands and knees, man walks on two feet, old man walks with cane).
templest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.

If the answer was really
Quote:

time

It wouldn't make sense. (Although I must admit, that's what I thought of, at first glance).

It makes sense for the first one. But wind is the one that grinds stones to 'meal' and 'beats high mountains down'. Moisture 'gnaws iron and bites steel'. And people slay kinds and ruin towns. Not to metion that <it> doesn't really exist to begin with, so how could it cause these things? Either way, although <it> does give it the --span-- large enough for these things to take it's toll, it doesn't necessaraly DO them. Without: Wind, Moisture, and People it doesn't matter how much <it> you have, it wouldn't make a difference.
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you'd like, I'll help you build a time machine so you can go back and take it up with Tolkien in person, or whoever originally came up with it if that's the case.
templest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
If you'd like, I'll help you build a time machine so you can go back and take it up with Tolkien in person, or whoever originally came up with it if that's the case.

Duh! There is no such thing as time! Therefore, time travel is impossible! Rolling Eyes
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
the_short1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

damed15 wrote:

What has a mouth but never speaks,
What has a bed but never sleeps?

the mouth one... thats a Delta of a river..(where is meets an ocean)
the bed one ... thats a river.. (bed) Razz

those are old .. but good..
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
And people slay kinds and ruin towns.

Actually, on this count, 'time' works. Kings can die of old age. It doesn't have to involve assassination Razz
templest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
Quote:
And people slay kinds and ruin towns.

Actually, on this count, 'time' works. Kings can die of old age. It doesn't have to involve assassination Razz

What about the "ruins towns" though? :-O. You forgot the keyword "and". It has to do both, not one or the other. Therefor: No. Very Happy
damed15

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Tempest i am guessing your good in science but its not very good tord riddles.
Coutsos I am glad at least someone can remember a good riddle from a ok book. I didn't think anyone would get the right answers.

Ohhh ya Tempest time is the answer cause it takes time for anykind of element to do anything and well time is an just an measurement its still a real consept.

The_short1 you are right but just say a river basic as that.

Tempest Says
Quote:
What about the "ruins towns" though? :-O. You forgot the keyword "and". It has to do both, not one or the other. Therefor: No.

It Does cause town fall apart as time goes on or we would have tons of old ruins from past civilzations.

the_short1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks to ian in my physics class for this one.

What gets wetter as it dries ??
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Actually, according to physics, time is as real as up or down, its a dimension that is integral in all parts of our lives. For example, the closer you travel to the speed of light, the slower time becomes for you. That is because when you are not travelling through any other dimensions (ie. Staying still), you are using all your velocity to travel through time (at the speed of light), once you get moving, your using part of that velocity to travel through space, and less for time. (kinda like how if you travel from west to east in a straight line, you'll get to the eastern point faster than if you travel angled to to south, sharing your velocity between 2 dimensions). We just don't notice it cause we don't travel anywhere near the speed of light. Its all part of Einstein's special relativity Wink
Flea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
What gets wetter as it dries ??

towel!
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 32 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: