Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Hard Drives
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:09 pm   Post subject: Hard Drives

I looked on tigerdirect.ca for hard drives, why is the 120 gig cheaper than the 20 gig and etc? in fact its the cheapest?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/category_hdd.asp?Sort=fPrice&Type=&CatId=134
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Maverick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm i have no idea
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Supply and demand. Nobody's making 20gig drives anymore, and very few people want them. Those retailes who still have them have to sell them for more to compensate for the cost of having them on the shelf for such a long time.
Maverick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thats a pretty dumb idea. You'd think theyd sell 20's for even cheaper then they shuld be.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well the 120gb is more then the 20gb. the 120 is $79.97, but after rebate its $59.97 and the 20 is $75.99 with no rebate, but the 120 is still a WAY better deal and I'd rater fork out the extra couple bucks and get some money back later and have the larger drive.
templest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

timmytheturtle wrote:
Well the 120gb is more then the 20gb. the 120 is $79.97, but after rebate its $59.97 and the 20 is $75.99 with no rebate, but the 120 is still a WAY better deal and I'd rater fork out the extra couple bucks and get some money back later and have the larger drive.

Twelve months later? I'm not joking, those things take an eternity to come back in the mail.

Anyways, isn't supply 'n' demand:

Lots in stock / few people want it = Uber low prices.

Few in stock / Everyone wants it = Eye-gouging prices. (?)

If this was really a matter of supply and demand, and the cost of shelving a product for so long, wouldn't they just make each HD $40 and get rid of them all quicker; thus spending less in the long run?
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Maverick wrote:
Thats a pretty dumb idea. You'd think theyd sell 20's for even cheaper then they shuld be.

It's economics. Try getting a replacement part for a 2001 Honda Accord. Now do the same for an 85 Accord.

Supply and demand.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:49 am   Post subject: (No subject)

just look at the rest of the harddrives... It's a single one that stands out, the rest follow a nice order of increasing space and price.

the cheap price could be the result from a) it being a shitty drive (5400 rpm at that size?) b) promotion c) stock liquidation (get some new 7200s in) d) some other economic reason or what's more probable - a combination of a few of them.

if you want to bitch about weird economics occurances, do so about the fact that a 591mL bottle of pop costs $1.50 and a 2L bottle of exactly the same drink... located on the shelf below... is $0.99

though its all about convinience. people are willing to pay 50% more to have just 1/4 the ammount of desired product because "it is easier to carry"
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Nobody's making 20gig drives anymore, and very few people want them.

Crying or Very sad
I want one! lousy 9 gb harddrive!

What you say is very true, tony. It's never worth while to pruchase 591mL bottles individually, though sometimes you can get a pack of 6 for a better value than the 2L bottles, which angers me because they're just promoting wasting plastic.. Rolling Eyes
templest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
though its all about convinience. people are willing to pay 50% more to have just 1/4 the ammount of desired product because "it is easier to carry"

Yeah, those frekin' 380GB HD's just get WAY too damn heavy. The 4 GB ones are nice and managable, though. Laughing
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: