Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Working Out
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

How many times a week do you workout?
(No ending time set)
6-7 times
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
5 - 4 times
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
3- 2 times
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
1 time
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
wtf is working out? does typing count??
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

nate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:29 pm   Post subject: Working Out

I hope this poll shows thats us compsci users are not actually just computer geeks. I HOPE. Well, i'm workin out round 6-7 times a week now. How about you guys?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well I'm practicing kendo 3 times a week. It's more of a workout than you might think.

In January I'm moving back to Toronto where my gym membership resumes, though I hope I can find some open space to run around with a sword as well Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Genesis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
Well I'm practicing kendo 3 times a week. It's more of a workout than you might think.

That's awesome. I'd imagine kendo would be quite a workout.

I run 4 miles every morning. 7 minutes a mile. Very Happy
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:59 pm   Post subject: Re: Working Out

nate wrote:
I hope this poll shows thats us compsci users are not actually just computer geeks. I HOPE. Well, i'm workin out round 6-7 times a week now. How about you guys?

How dose geeks = not working out?

Any how there is a difrencer between excies and working out. I see no point in working out (i am not as vain as most of scoity) but exceies to stay healthy is good.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I used to swim competitively, but now I just go every so often for the recreational aspect. Vanity is good, I want a six-pack again!
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Weights, 2-3 times a week (if I did any more than that, i'd be in constant pain), all the other days, basketball for 1-1.5 hrs. and if I was smart, I'd do what other ppl prolly do, separate workouts for different parts of the body in different days, but I just do it all once I'm in the basement, and that results in pain.

I remeber coming back from a long trip of not working out, and then I come back and did my normal thing... ouch, the next day I sneezed and I was on the ground for like 2 minutes.
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Working out is goaled towards physical perfection, not vanity for the most part, just like studying is geared towards furthering ones knowledge.
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
just like studying is geared towards furthering ones knowledge.

Umm I thought it was geared towards passing tests. Or maybe thats just me
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I used to work out daily with the football coach and some of team back in highschool. I'm looking for a martial art to try...
Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how about aikedo? my brother did that for a number of years, kinda stopped once he hit uni, but he said it was fun. I don't think its all that good of a work out, however (compared to some other matial arts)

7 minutes a mile genesis? pretty good Very Happy I think I do around that, but don't really know since I tend to just run for as long as I have time for. Wink
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Working out is goaled towards physical perfection, not vanity for the most part, just like studying is geared towards furthering ones knowledge.

I think whonting physical perfection pritey much is what vanity is, lol
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

But then can't the same be said about wanting to be the best at anything?

Everyone aims for the top, even if they know that realistically they can't get there.
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
how about aikedo?

Funny you should mention that. Aikido is actually the reason why I'm now looking for something. I went to one class, and it didn't really think it was for me. Nothing against Aikido, it's a great concept but I'd like something that will be a really good way to build up my strength. From what I can see, Aikido is more of a 'use their own strength against them' kind of thing.
Besides, Aikido is supposed to be peaceful. If somebody attacks me and I manage to knock them down, I'd like to beat the crap out of them. As opposed to stepping on them so they can't move.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Aikido - The art of becoming one with the mat.

Aikido is very fun, and the man who created it (not so long ago, it's only about 100 years old) is regarded as one of the best martial artists ever to have lived. http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/paloma/Aikido/morihei.html
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know about that, that's why I said I didn't think it was for "me". Wink
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 49 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: