Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Kodak vs. Sun Microsystems
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:40 pm   Post subject: Kodak vs. Sun Microsystems

So apparently Sun was found guilty of some 7 year old patent violation owned by Kodak and is being suied for $1.06 billion (thats with a B ) Confused Which is redicilous...

read the article
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Maverick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sun microsystems cant even compete with kodak, why wuld they want that much money? Greedy i guess
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well i do not think it will hurt sun to much if they keepted that 5 billion they got from suing M$.

There is somting very wrong in a wrold where coamplys are making money off suing poleop rather then selling things. (ex. the RIAA).

Edit: i just hope this dose not hurt delvopment of the java lang at all......
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

First off, that website is a joke

Secondly, if that goes through, Sun will disappear. So, unless Microsoft decides to push J++, bye bye java.

I doubt anything will happen.
templest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
First off, that website is a joke

Secondly, if that goes through, Sun will disappear. So, unless Microsoft decides to push J++, bye bye java.

I doubt anything will happen.

Did you not read Dan's post? If Sun(tm) was smart, and kept that money as a reserve for the company, I'm assuming they had enough dough to run the company without completely depending on a lawsuit's payout, then they can easily just dig into their funds and move on.
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the "smart" thing to do would be to reach a agreement without the use of courts and lawyers, cause lawyers end up with the considerable chunk of dough anyway.
templest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Paul wrote:
the "smart" thing to do would be to reach a agreement without the use of courts and lawyers, cause lawyers end up with the considerable chunk of dough anyway.

By reaching an agreement, that would imply settling for a conciderably less amount of money. Money which Sun Microsystems still has to pay out.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
So, unless Microsoft decides to push J++, bye bye java.

I do not belvie that M$ is alowed to make J++ any more due to the law suit and Sun being pissed. But if it is true and sun dose get sued then tehcaly that law suit money whould not belong to Sun since J++ was riping off java and if they did not make java.....

Oh well lets hope it dose not go anywhere.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea i know.. wht the hell is with kodak.. pfft.. cheap and greedy for cash.. SUN has its problems already.. and this! !! *sigh*.. hope it really does not have much effect on SUN. (they are such a good company.. very much technologically innovative)
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

paying less money is better than paying more money, if they reach an agreement, then sun would pay less money, and kodak would receive more money. The last time MKS sued some company for money, the lawyer ended up with most of it anyway.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=jurysaysjavainfri1096975141&area=news
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin - Kodak won a while back (when the post was made), but the legal system is still trying to figure out how much Sun should pay. Kodak wants $1.06 billion, Sun doesn't want to pay over $25 million... go figure
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I believe to patent an algorithm is to say: you cannot think of, what I thought of first. whaha.. its soo stupid.. but the U.S follows it.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:19 pm   Post subject: Re: Kodak vs. Sun Microsystems

CNET News - Sun settles Kodak's Java suit for $92 million
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: