Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Converting HTML files to PDF format.
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
templest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:45 pm   Post subject: Converting HTML files to PDF format.

Meh, I know OpenOffice.org can do it. But the problem is, I have "Microsoft Offense" installed, and I'm not about to dish out how many $1,000s I'd have to pay Adobe for it.

Question:

Is there a plugin I can download that will enable Word to export documents to a PDF format, or

Will I have to get OOo?

Confused
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Get a Mac!
templest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I just got OOo, Confused

BTW: I do.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ROFL... read the google ad...
templest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge_tomahawk wrote:
ROFL... read the google ad...

What goog... ohhhhh, yeah, eh-eh, I.. get, it?
I have Firefox + AdBlock, therefor: I have no idea wtf is going on with the Google ads.
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Why PDFs, anyways? Personally, I hate them. Or rather, I hate the adobe pdf reader. Something about having to wait half a minute while a program takes over my browser tab to show me something that may or may not be useful strikes me as annoying. Or are there alternative (ie, decent) readers out there?
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think (hope) there are but i do not know if they incoreate in to your browser. Tho the idea behind PDF is good b/c it lets you send poleop docmuments where you know the font, layout, ect will be the same no matter what system or computer they are using. (or at least in theroy)
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
templest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
I think (hope) there are but i do not know if they incoreate in to your browser. Tho the idea behind PDF is good b/c it lets you send poleop docmuments where you know the font, layout, ect will be the same no matter what system or computer they are using. (or at least in theroy)

That's the idea, hence: "Why PDFs". There's also lots of other neat things, such as allowing "bookmarks" on each page, and being able to organize pages into seperate pages and not one huge HTML file; and like Dan said, the file is viewed the same no matter what OS, or browser you are using.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

templest wrote:
Hacker Dan wrote:

That's the idea, hence: "Why PDFs". There's also lots of other neat things, such as allowing "bookmarks" on each page, and being able to organize pages into seperate pages and not one huge HTML file; and like Dan said, the file is viewed the same no matter what OS, or browser you are using.

Yes, I have to admit the idea is great. But that reader is a bitch to load, isn't it? I'm gonna try one from oldversion.com to see if it's any faster. I remember when the installation file could fit on a disk, now it's 6+ MB.
templest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No problems here, actually. Takes about 3 - 6 seconds to load. Not that big of a deal. Razz
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
Yes, I have to admit the idea is great. But that reader is a **** to load, isn't it?

Get a Mac!

The whole display system is based on PDF. Smile
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Get a Mac!

Y'know, I think about that often. But let's not go offtopic...
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
wtd wrote:
Get a Mac!

Y'know, I think about that often. But let's not go offtopic...

Well, it would solve this problem quite handily. Just go to File, select Print, then in the print dialog, select "Save as PDF".
templest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have a mac, why did I never notice this? Confused I'm too nub at this, I have to remember to make some time in order to learn this byatch good. Razz

EDIT: What app exactly are you using it to "Save As PDF"?

RE-EDIT: Nvm.. Razz
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Of course this depends on using a moderately recent version of OS X.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: