Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 AMD64 Linux Distro
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:33 pm   Post subject: AMD64 Linux Distro

My BIOS is too buggy to install Gentoo (I have tried, with various strange problems) and I would like a suggestion for another distro to try that has AMD64 support.

Debian or slackware would be my first choice. I would prefer not to go with an RPM distro, because I find RPM's to be more stressful than multitasking with Windows.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well i think suse is gr8, but most poleop dont think it gives enougth custization. But it was the only one that worked with my laptops hardware. Do an ftp install tho and not a cd if u whont it to have anything good w/ it.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Have you noticed the limited customizability? And, how limited?

For starters, I use fluxbox (I'm going to check out enlightenment), so as long as I can do that I am happy.
Genesis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd have to agree with Dan there. Suse is great. And yes, do an FTP install.

The only other distro I've tried is Fedora Core 2, which isn't bad. It's just a new form of Red Hat.

But I'd still reccomend Suse. The customizability isn't that bad. If we're talking like appearance wise, it comes with Gnome, and the Suse version of KDE is the best looking default desktop in my opinion. And in all other aspects, I haven't found it that bad at all for customization.
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
For starters, I use fluxbox

Let me know how that goes. I've never actually tried it. Not sure I've even seen screenshots of it either.
Martin wrote:
(I'm going to check out enlightenment)

That's the stuff. Raise the roof!
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Can someone send me a link to the ftp iso please? x86_64 archetecture I think (AMD 64)
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: