Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 HDTV
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Do you have an HDTV?
(No ending time set)
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
No
76%
 76%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 34

Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:12 pm   Post subject: HDTV

Yes or no. Also (just for conversation), are you planning to get one?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nope, for noraml t.v. use HDTV is pointless and a wast of moeny. I keep seeing cable comapnys advertsiing HD chanels and HD cable boxs but why??

Most of the stuff i watch on t.v. dose not bordcast in HD and even if it did it whould not look any better. Your average t.v. show dose not have masive spesial effects or anything that realy needs to be high deftion. For example talk shows, news, sitcoms, reality t.v., and almost anything that is not using spesial effects is not going to take adavagte of this.

Where i dose come in how ever is gaming and some movies that have lots of cool CGI. But hostly for the price tag right now i could live with slightly less cool CGI in movies, i mean if you whont great looking movies go to the movies Razz.

So buying an HDTV combiatal tv for just gaming? I don't know if it is going to be worth it or even efordable to buy a HD combaital tv + a new gneration gaming console + games.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nope, I'm just fine with my 27" CRT TV, I don't see the difference much for TV, and I don't do a lot of console gaming... Maybe if more things take advantage of it in the future... Though I doubt it'll be any time soon.

Basically, I agree with Dan.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

HDTV? Well, the gamming experience is pretty good, provided you have the graphics card to support it.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i had the exact same mindset as dan and gandalf.. until i saw the sony bravia.. now i'm saving every penny just to get one
codemage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have a CRT-style widescreen HDTV that I got for a sweet price on stock clearance.

It's very nice for movies and occasional console gaming - although I don't watch enough TV to justify paying more for HD programming.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I take the roundabout HDTV test. I call up my buddy John and ask him, "Hey, do you know anyone with HDTV? No? Good, because you know me."
s3arkay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't have one but I am wishing to get one sometime soon
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
I take the roundabout HDTV test. I call up my buddy John and ask him, "Hey, do you know anyone with HDTV? No? Good, because you know me."

would that be john sun? Laughing
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well im getting a new TV, so might as well get a LCD HDTV... maybe i can plug my laptop in it!
ZeroPaladn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No HDTV here, and frankly i dont mind the absence of that all new surround sound for the few hours i do play my console games. Not worth the money, IMO.
War_Caymore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

HDTV, in my house... HA! My stepdad won't even buy a bloody new computer. what makes you think that i would ahve one in my hosue...

Shocked Embarassed Rolling Eyes

sorry i got a little angry there.

ya my house is set back in 1991, the most up-to-date thing we got is windows XP home.
Silent Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes there is an HDTV in my house in which I had to fork over $3000 for half of it and my parents covered the other half. It's an LCD widescreen which saved about 50% more energy than our old CRT TV. I find it great for gaming but not much else. I suggest if you have the money and have a use for it then get one but otherwise I think a normal TV would do.
BenLi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have a HDTV widescreen...not that I actually use the HDTV...
but concerning gaming, I find a good sound system more influencial on the experience than a huge tv
ZeroPaladn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

BenLi wrote:
I have a HDTV widescreen...not that I actually use the HDTV...
but concerning gaming, I find a good sound system more influencial on the experience than a huge tv

To each his own, I still prefer gameplay over sound/graphics anyday, but they still add to the experience. (go FF1!)
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 22 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: