Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Help: Windows not starting up
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
alex123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:43 pm   Post subject: Help: Windows not starting up

Hello all,
I have a slight problem here.
I can turn on my computer, but when it reaches the 'welcome screen', it stops--, two erros popups

"Virtual memory is to low" or something
the second is
"User is not licensed for the computer" or something like that..
please help me.

Thank you
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes... do u by any chance have an illegal copy of windows AND a crappy computer?
alex123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No, not that I know off, im sure it's not illegal.
The second error
Windows product activation wrote:

A problem is preventing windows from accuratully checking the license for this computer.

Error code: 0X80070002
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Paul Bian wrote:
Yes... do u by any chance have an illegal copy of windows AND a crappy computer?

LOL, thats what i sounds like.

For the 1st error:

When windows runs out of ram to run progames on it uses the hdd as ram, this is know as the swap space or vriualt memeory. There are setings u can get to in propterys on mycomputer that will let u set how big this space and take up on your hdd. If you have a small hdd and not much ram this could be casuing the problem and whould be hard to fix w/o upgrading parts of the compuers hardware. If you have a big hdd and it is not full then it is probly a bad seting, in that case u should make the swap space on the hdd bigger.

For the 2nd:

It is ether a cropted users data file or u have a bad copy of windows. If the user data is cropted u should go in to safe mod or on another admistor user and try to fix or delete the cropted user. If u got a bad copy of windows good luck to ya Razz
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you can't fix anything in Safe Mode (If you can even access Safe Mode), it's probably going to be difficult to increase the swap space on your drive through My Computer, seeing as how windows won't even start up. I'd reccomend just formatting it, and reinstalling windows (well I'd reccomend installing Linux, but suit yourself). Chances are that'll fix the problem.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I looked up that error and here are some links about it and fixing it:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20836473.html

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4600/rh4684.htm

http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/community/community/tips/xp/partitn/default.aspx
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
alex123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hey,
thanks for the help but im really.. not good at computers and the problem here is that I cannot log into any account to change any settings. Also, I don't know how to go into safe mode Sad.

Could you guys, PLEASE help me.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Genesis wrote:
If you can't fix anything in Safe Mode (If you can even access Safe Mode), it's probably going to be difficult to increase the swap space on your drive through My Computer, if windows won't even start up. I'd reccomend just formatting it, and reinstalling windows. Chances are that'll fix the problem.

Did not see your post when i posted my last one, but there is also a way of fixing stuff by going in to the recover console (need the winxp cd for this) and it gives u a dos like everoment where u can mess with the registy.

Also u can user live linux cds to modifey files on the windows hdd w/o instaling linux or doing much damge Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

To get into safe mode, hit F8 while your comp is booting up. That should bring you to some options menu. Select Safe Mode from the list, and go from there.

If I can remember correctly that's how it's done.

I've never used the recovery console, but give that a try.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: