Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Java: School v.s. Home?
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:21 pm   Post subject: Java: School v.s. Home?

Hi,

I've a bit of a dilemma. Everything I've learned in Java so far this year (in the holt editor) doesn't work at home. Have they updated so drastically that it is impossible to use old java, or am I just missing something.

I am using the NetBeans IDE 3.6 with the latest Java package from sun at home, and the Holt editor using a Java dinosaur.

I'd really like to know what is happening, and if anyone (named McKenzie) can help me with this problem.

-Zster
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

please state ur java SDK..
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

he's using ready to program

and its not that they updated it.. its just that holtsoft took the java core and moved it out into the side with a truckload of their own non standart classes.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:08 pm   Post subject: Re: Java: School v.s. Home?

TheZsterBunny wrote:

I am using the NetBeans IDE 3.6 with the latest Java package from sun at home, and the Holt editor using a Java dinosaur.

yea well that JDK.. yep i was asking wht ver did he download he.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Did'nt M$ get sued for that?

May be some one should tip off sun Razz
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download-netbeans.html

NetBeans + J?? IDE

um, the 'ready to program' by holt, have they changed the language?

code:

static console c;

doesn't work in netbeans or crimson editor. whereas the rtp is fine.

-Z
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Console is not a pere defined object in real java, the hole console system was made up by holth and that is what is in there api. It is sposted to make it easer for poleop to learn it but i think it acualty makes it harder in the long run. It is a same that schools ataucaly use this when real java is free and better.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yep ok now we know that ur using sun's netbeans with jdk 1.4.2 very well.
now we need to figure out wht holt is using.. could you do us a favour and list all the files and folders of directories and subdirectories in the ready to program directory?

all that info could help us in aiding not just you but other holtsoft users.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't have access to those folders.

I know some of the modules they use (hsa.console) do not exist anymore, so they must be outdated. could that be a custom module?

-Z
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hsa is their proprietary package. u'd have to find the .jar file in those folders that includes the package. but if you had access to that folder i could tell you wheter a perticular jar is their or sun's
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

TheZsterBunny wrote:

I know some of the modules they use (hsa.console) do not exist anymore, so they must be outdated. could that be a custom module?

Thas what i have been trying to say, hsa.console is not made by java (sun) nor dose any verson of java have it but rtp.
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, I now have (Java 1.4.1 + Ready to Program) and (Java 2 + NetBeans) on my computer. How can I associate my hsa.console package (part of 1.4.1+rtp) with NetBeans?

What files must I copy/move/edit?

-Z
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well it whould help if we knew what files there where, most of us try to stay far away from rtp.

There should be a jar file like rizzix was saying called somting like hsa some where in the dir or sub dirs. (jar file is a arciver like zip that ushely has classes in it[APIs]) to use them the easyested way whould be to move them to the same dir as ur java class that uses them. Athougth u can move them in to the right java dir (witch i do not rember but i am shure rizzix knows) and it will make it system wide.

If you post the hole dir strucher and files we could help more (as in the names of them not the files.)
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

digging around, under a folder called 'source' i have found the 'hsa' directory. this contains all sorts of java/class files. I take it that this is what I was looking for? where to?

-Z
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well is there a folder called lib or something? with jar files in it?
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 29 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: