Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 wow, self teaching C++ is hard...
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
omni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:15 pm   Post subject: wow, self teaching C++ is hard...

I am trying to self teach my self C++. I've downloaded tutorials and stuff and I have Dev C++ for my IDE. C++ is a change from Turing and the 2 other languages I know (TI-Basic and TI_ASM for TI-83plus).

Question: I dont know how to start. I need some sort of first program to make. What can I do with only the standard C++ libraries?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Genesis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't know much about C++, but if you're learning it, try checking out your local library (like the builidng full of books) for programming books.

My city's library sucks, but it's got tons of programming books. Plenty on C++. Most books do a good job starting you off, and then tutorials and such are a big help. That's how I learned Java.

Good luck!
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well if u know turing and did that in hs, and u whont some things to do to try to learn/test your slef at C++ why not use some of the turing asments u had/have and do them in C++. Or remake some of your turing stuff in C++.

Althougth the graficks whould be a problem with just the standered libs.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the hardest transition is the oop, other than that, learn the syntax in a week and u'll be fine
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Make sure you're learning C++. Lots of places teach "C/C++", which isn't actually a programming language. They often consider C++ to be "C with classes." C++ is much more complex and powerful than that, and acknowledging the truth of its nature is the first step in mastering it.
omni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, i thought about re-making my old turing programs, BUT the graphics are a problem. There aren't any standard graphics libraries, which SUCKs.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well, there are standard graphic libraries. Technically speaking, MFC is "standard", since M$ made it.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

AsianSensation wrote:
well, there are standard graphic libraries. Technically speaking, MFC is "standard", since M$ made it.

No, it's not.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yep not even close to standard. hmm there are technically no libraries with C++. its a standalone language unlike a lot of other languages. but there is the standard template library. that usualy comes with most compilers.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

fo' real?

I always thought that MFC was standard microsoft classes? Or are there some other reasons that it's called Microsoft Foundation Classes?

Or is it because MFC was related with Visual C++? Am I just having C++ and Visual C++ confused or something?
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

AsianSensation wrote:
fo' real?

I always thought that MFC was standard microsoft classes? Or are there some other reasons that it's called Microsoft Foundation Classes?

Or is it because MFC was related with Visual C++? Am I just having C++ and Visual C++ confused or something?

There is C++, and Microsoft created a bunch of libraries in C++ which they bundled together and called MFC, and they include this all with a product they call Visual C++.

Visual C++ is not a language. It's a (bad, expensive) compiler for C++. Many of Microsoft's own libraries take advantage of the flaws and nonstandard eccentricities in Visual C++, thus tying them to that compiler.
omni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

o yeah, if I just have a basic C++ program:

#include <iostream.h>
int main ()
{
cout << "Hello World!";
return 0;

}
and I compile and run it, the window closes before I can see the text. How do i keep the window open after execution is done and the only way I the window closes is when I close it myself?
Catalyst

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well you could run it from the console as it is meant to, or you could add a small line to get input from the user to halt the program, such as
code:

std::string hold;
std::cin>>hold;

or you could use the un-portable (and possibly dangerous)

code:

system("PAUSE");
omni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Whats STD stand for (aside from sexually transmitted disease, haha)?
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
AsianSensation wrote:

No, it's not.

Thanks for saving me a rant Wink

Quote:

or you could use the un-portable (and possibly dangerous)

Code:

system("PAUSE");

Ahhhhhhhhh, ya that is evil. It is up there with goto. Uhsely there is a option in the IDE (if u are using one) that lets u make it keep the window open.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 30 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: