Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CISCO Computer Course
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Genesis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:32 pm   Post subject: CISCO Computer Course

Well, on my first day of school I find out that our school has eliminated computer science! The class no longer exists.

So they force me to take something else. They reccommended the new "Yearbook Making Course" that they got in place of comp sci. At that point I almost killed someone.

But our school also offers CISCO, a course that I know nothing about, but apparently has to do with networking or something? And computer hardware I guess. Not sure if there's anything relating to programming in it.

But It's 2 credits, so 2 periods, which means I have to rearrange my entire schedule. Anyone know if it's worth it? Or what exactly it's all about. Or if Universities will look at it as a programming course, or even look at it at all. Sadly my school's guidance department is completely useless and doesn't tell me anything substantial about it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ha ? do u get a CISCO certificate or something? if so its worth it.. but i.e if ur not interseted in doing anything else. CISCO is a huge company and are basically the backbone of the internet. all routing etc.. is all handled by cisco routers etc... so its really cool only if u get some sortof certification
Genesis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya, I'm almost positive you get a CISCO certificate out of it.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There's this CISCO certified internet engineer thingy that is said to get u at least 100000$ USD per year, and not many ppl in Canada has it. but its only in the east coast and only 50% of the ppls pass lol... but a cisco course would help u in somethings, yes
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I realy whould not wory to much about certificks, i mean most of them are realy not that hard to get and are just a way of geting your money. I realy dont think a employer is going to pick some one who has just a certfick over some one with a unviserty education in somting like compsci. I mean it could help but makes more scence if u get the certifc when u find a job that needs it :p

Am i the only one who thinks the A+ certifck or w/e it is called is a joke it is so simple? i have never tryed for it but from what i have hured....

About that compsci in hs tho, what u do is ask guindce to do it as an independ study. If u can find a teacher that will agera to instuct you some times (basick be the one marking you) then guidence ushely will have no problem with it. It also helps to tell them u are cahging schools if u do not get compsci class (the more poleop they have the more funding, and we all know guidnce is the 1st to go when there is buget cuts.).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Genesis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, I've already tried to get them to let me do the Independent Study thing, but our only programming teacher got pregnant, and is off this year, so there is nobody to mark any work. And even if I say I'm changing schools, there's not much they can do about it, as there's no teacher in our school who knows how to program anymore.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

pfff knows how? In grade 10 i was thougth compsci by a teacher who bearly new how to turn on a computer never mine progame. They where not even in math department nor anything close to compsci.

U could aslo do compsci AP witch can count as a uni corse, tony whould know more about that since he did it. Bascilk from what i hured u are give stuff to study and your mark is like 100% dependent on one exam.

If there is another high school close to u, you could probly take it there while still taking the rest of your corse at your curent one. But ushey for that u need to have a bus all ready runing from the 2 high schools a lunch.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've known ppls who got into really nice universit co-op placements with the help of the A+ certificate, and there's like supposably only 300 ppl in Canada now that is a certified internet engineer.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Paul Bian wrote:
I've known ppls who got into really nice universit co-op placements with the help of the A+ certificate

ROFL, that seems wrong on so many levels to me....I am prity shure most poleop here that have taken a computer apert and put it back to gether agaen and it worked could get A+.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well... its nevertheless true Smile Some ppl have to go all the way to saskatchewan for a first year uni coop placement, but this guy, when asked why he got the coop for maintaining UW network (which is basically sitting at home and getting money) he said he showed his cert Razz
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my school ofers a A+ certification in computer engineering...

i want to take it next year..

but its recomended taht u have cisoc..

and cisco is a pretty fun networking class... that also invlocles takign apart computers and stuff... and wyring lan and everything...

u have to also do soem software changes... set up a pc from noth9ing.... blank c drive)..

and at the end a lot of ppl play lan games or their networks they make if it works good.. IE starcrat Razz
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: