Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I am new to the world of programming
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how many gigabytes

0.050 Gigabytes

My entire FPS was cmpressed down to 19 megs , Dude if you want runescape you could get away with 50 megs or less , forget gigabytes , a true Ninja Programmer will make his programs as small as possible , dont let size fool you ,

there are 20 minute video clips of high quality rendered enviroment that are only 64Kilobytes, Master compression in your code and your programs will be very fast and very efficiant , dont waste code and use it sparingly , and you will make great programs

Its a skill that needs to be learned through making programs then keeping their capabilities but decreasing there size , i oftem make a program say 100 lines long and se how small i can make them ,

Dont worry about size until you have some basic Knowledge ( no pun intended ) We can talk about things like that later ,first lets get you ready and into a language
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Anime Freak wrote:
ok i have a question to ask...i am interested in learning one laguage at first that will be ideal for righting a program (in the long run when i am ok) that is similar to the runescape type game. what language would be best for righting a program like that and how much gigobytes of space would it require to right a program that big with that many graphix.

Many languages can work for this, and the choice depends on the toolkit you use for the graphics. Do you want to work with Microsoft's DirectX, which may give you some advantage on Windows, or do you want to use OpenGL, which will give you the ability to run on many different operating systems and hardware platforms?

Of course, at your age, and your level of knowledge, programming language syntax is not the big challenge. The challenge is understanding the concepts. Once you understand programming concepts in general, learning the syntax is the easy part.

In order to understand the concepts, you want a programming language that for the most part gets out of the way and lets you understand what's going on without a lot of extra information that has nothing to do with the important logic.

It's a trivial example, but which of the following language samples are easiest to understand?

code:
// in Java
import java.lang.*;
import java.io.*;

public class HelloWorld {
   public static void main(String[] args) {
      System.out.println("Hello world");
   }
}

// in C++
#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
   std::cout << "Hello world" << std::endl;
   return 0;
}

-- in Eiffel
class
   HELLO_WORLD
creation { ANY }
   make
feature { ANY }
   make is
      do
         std_output.put_string("Hello world")
         std_output.put_new_line
      end
end

-- in Ada95
with Ada.Text_IO; use Ada.Text_IO;
procedure Hello_World is
begin
   Put_Line("Hello world");
end Hello_World;

// in C#
using System;

public class HelloWorld
{
   public static void Main(string[] args)
   {
      Console.WriteLine("Hello world");
   }
}

/* in C */
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
   puts("Hello world");
   return 0;
}

(* in O'Caml *)
print_endline "Hello world"

# in Perl
print "Hello world\n";

# in Python
print "Hello world"

# in Ruby
puts "Hello world"

% in Turing
put "Hello world"

This is not to say any one of these languages is necessarily any better or worse for experienced programmers, but which of them makes it the easiest to understand what's going on, especially when you have just about zero programming experience?
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:
Dont worry about size until you have some basic Knowledge ( no pun intended ) We can talk about things like that later ,first lets get you ready and into a language

Do it right, then do it fast.

This goes for every program, no matter who's writing it. Premature optimization is evil.
Anime Freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

is anyone in the "mountain time" time zone or close to that and if so can you please give me your email address if u have msn so i can chat with u and get emediat help if you are online.
Anime Freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd i added u to my friends list on instant messaging and it says that u are not using msn so it sent u and auto email that told u how to install it (like u need to know how lol) but my email address is buzzsaw228@hotmail.com if anyone cares
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Could be Microsoft showing their disdain for people who use Trillian.

I'm online, and have been for some time. I'm showing you as offline as well.

Real geeks use ICQ...
Anime Freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont like icq (actually i have never tryied it and most ppl use msn any ways).
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Young'ens...

Back in my day ICQ was what every self-respecting geek used. That was six years ago, and it's still going strong.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

omg please stop.. heh... there are limits u know Laughing
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Trillian is nice, I use it for the sake of ppl who don't use MSN though.
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

everything is changing this year!

a new website http://www.e-messenger.net/ .. . lets u sign in and msg ppl from a website! .. unless ur school knows and has already blocked the site... ull be able to MSN during clas Razz
rdrake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Or you could just use http://webmessenger.msn.com/ instead. It works with Firefox too as long as the popup blocker is turned off to let it launch.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:

Yep. The basic form is:

code:
string.gsub(pattern) { |match| <operations> }

The matched substring in the string is replaced by the results of the operations.

if thats the case.. howz that not possible in perl?

code:

$string = "hello a world aa bar aaa baz";
$string =~ s/a/Foo/g;
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
wtd wrote:

Yep. The basic form is:

code:
string.gsub(pattern) { |match| <operations> }

The matched substring in the string is replaced by the results of the operations.

if thats the case.. howz that not possible in perl?

code:

$string = "hello a world aa bar aaa baz";
$string =~ s/a/Foo/g;

It's possibe, but the Perl construct isn't as flexible. I'll post a more complex example later to demonstrate. Smile
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Take the same example, but if there's one 'a', replace it with "Foo". If there are 2, replace it with "Bar". If there are 4, replace it with "Baz", and anything else, replace it with "Wooble".

code:
raw_string = "a aa aaa aaaa aaaaa"
new_string = raw_string.gsub(/(a+)/i) do |match|
   case match.length
      when 1 then "Foo"
      when 2 then "Bar"
      when 4 then "Baz"
      else "Wooble"
   end
end
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 5  [ 66 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: