Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I am new to the world of programming
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mummified zombie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:30 pm   Post subject: I am new to the world of programming

Hi I just created an acount on this site cause i came across it on msn. I now basic html and want to learn how to make first person shooter games in the long run. I have been facinated with computers as long as i can remember but i have had no place to learn how to program. If any one could tell me were i can find a tutorial on the easiest game creation program that is preferable downloadable for free.

ty all

Twisted Evil mummified zombie Twisted Evil
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't think it's as simple as you think.

Your path will likely look something like:

1. Become more familiar with the fundamentals of computers. What they're made of, how those parts work together, etc.
  2. Learn the fundamentals of programming.
  3. Learn object-oriented programming techniques.
  4. Learn the details of pointers and memory management.
  5. Pick up a set of tools for dealing with 3D graphics, sound, etc. and play with them until you've got a handle on how they work.
Anime Freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i was mummified zombie but i changed to this cause i didn't like the other name ><, .

Can u guys help me with learning all about the computer. if there r ne experience computer programmers or game programmers that live close to calgary, alberta (within a 1 hour drive) plz tell me and we can talk at a later time
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I never had to learn the parts of a computer, other than monitor, mouse, computer and keyboard... mayber thats why i suck at programming Laughing
Anime Freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well could ne of u help me with my quest to becoming an "ok" game programmer
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Of course, I should have specified that it's not a purely linear path. Smile

I learn new stuff about all of the above all the time (trying my hand at Ada95 right now).

And if you feel like coming to Vancouver, I'd be happy to talk with you. Wink
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sit on the comp as much as you can, play games you'll learn Razz
Anime Freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i am only 14 and i just started school. my parents would never be able to take me. i live 30 min drive outside of calgary, alberta lol

so i couldnt until next summer or spring vacation.

do u know were vernan is. if so how long of a drive is it from there to vancouver

------------------------

and i alrdy spend all my free time on the comp and play games lol

i play runescape most l8ly

if ne of u play rs can u tell me your usernames and we can chat there
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ech... runescape... why... do u have a bad computer? Lynk Hyrule : level 65, haven't logged on in a long time. But still playing runescape isn't going to help you. Um... install windows 95, or windows ME on ur computer, wait for it to screw up, I guaruntee that you'll learn how to use a computer fast, either that, or get a bad motherboard.
Anime Freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i have a p4 computer, and it runs almost perfectly when i dont go on a "download junk off the internet" frenzy again that got my computer a virus and my dad had to reformat the c drive lol

i just play rs to past time.

why would playing games be able to help me on my road to programming.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And of course, the first language you'll want to learn to make you a better programmer is English.

By this I mean learn to express yourself eloquently. The best programmers are well-spoken and express themselves with clarity. To communicate with such individuals, and thus learn from them, you'll need to be able to communicate on their level.

Use well-formed sentences, and avoid "cute" things like "l8ly". Smile

Now, as for actual programming...

I suggest grabbing a copy of the Ruby installer for Windows.

http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

And I rather like this tutorial:

http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well its not quite like that. Playing games will just give you a better idea of the elements involved (UI, graphics, physics, AI, networking, etc) once you actually get to making your own games Razz

point is - programming is not just about games (althogh its the most common driving force behind the interest in the subject)

so you'd have to pick out a programming language to start with (HTML is not programming... its just making your text document looking preaty by making some of the words bold). Since you're just starting, I would suggest to go for syntax simplicity rether than power. Turing will be perfect to familiarize yourself with the basic consepts (variables, i/o, loops, conditions, basic graphics).

We have loads of tutorials available. Take it slow. People will direct you tawards tutorials with consepts you'll need to cover. Best way to learn programming is compleat understanding of basic elements and being able to use them in various combinations. Start practicing with really basic small programs and move up Very Happy

eh... and yeah, what wtd said Razz Ruby is another good choice for starting out.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
eh... and yeah, what wtd said Razz Ruby is another good choice for starting out.

And free... and you know... actually popular and stuff... Wink
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea i'd agree Ruby is a nice language Smile a good idea to start of with that.. then lean all the concepts and later on move to other languages.. but if u want to straight-away code simple graphics-oriented scripts etc.. i guess u might as well just start of with turing. heh.
Anime Freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well, i type like "l8ly" and "w8" just cause i am used to it cause i play runescape so much and i need to use shortcuts for speach in the game.

so that is why i type like that...and i will do my best to stop with that habbit of typing.

i will be off for a bit cause of a thunder storm that has tornado winds Sad and plz wish me luck to live through the storm lol (i hope typing "lol" and "rofl" is ok)

I will try those sites after the storm and thanks for helping me get started on programming all of you.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 66 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: