Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Website woes.
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:15 pm   Post subject: Website woes.

Okay, here's the website that I am working on.

http://www.compsci.ca/martin/blank.htm

I made it in photoshop and imageready, and then this is a modified version of the ImageReady html code generated.

Basically, I need the big white section to be the content section of the website.

I don't want the page to scroll, but I want the middle section to scroll if need be.

The only way that I could see doing this is with an iframe. Does anyone know how I can make it so that the iframe takes up the entire white section, or a better way to do this?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I turned on the frame border so you can see what it's doing. The final plan is for it to be turned off.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And for a third consecutive post...

is there anyone who would be willing to help me finish this page over the weekend, in exchange for lots of bits and eternal gratitude (and a gmail invite if you want).

Please...I'm starting to hate html
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Frames are evil!

Use a div. Use "overflow: auto" to make it scroll if need be.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Go on...?

BTW, here's a link to the version where the table has borders.

http://www.compsci.ca/martin/blank1.htm
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

K i like it but as WTD said.
Frames are pure evil -.- evilllll.
Well try not using frames. the rest of the website looks cool, good wrk.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tables are also evil... give me a second to post a demonstration of a div with overflow in action.

code:
<html>
<head>
        <title>Div overflow demo</title>
        <style>
                body { background: #FFFFFF; }
                div#demo {
                        width: 200px;
                        height: 200px;
                        overflow: auto;
                        background: #E8E8E8;
                        padding: 5px;
                        border: 2px solid #000000;
                }
        </style>
</head>
<body>
        <div id="demo">Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar.  Hello world.  Foo bar. </div>
</body>
</html>
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Umm...want to patch up mine for me? *begs*

I'll give you a gmail invite...please...pretty please...the html taunts me...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Let's leave it at HTML is evil>
Divs don't work well on all borwsers, like on MAC camino that would look messed up.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:
Let's leave it at HTML is evil>
Divs don't work well on all borwsers, like on MAC camino that would look messed up.

Please, it's "Mac". It's short for "Macintosh", not an acronym. And Camino is a damn fine browser based off the Mozilla code. The very simple code I posted would work fine.

I'll just be getting off my high horse now...
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness wrote:
Umm...want to patch up mine for me? *begs*

I'll give you a gmail invite...please...pretty please...the html taunts me...

I have a GMail account. Razz

And I'm a consultant now. I give advice. I explain the best way to do things. I educate. I can do these things because I've mastered the nitty gritty stuff through many years of study and I now wish to simply relax, make money, and raise a family in the next few years. Smile
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've been trying to get this to work, with absolutely no luck, and I'm starting to get stressed out like MAD.

Okay, here's what I want:

That first link that I posted, I need someone to edit it to do the following:

The frame in the middle takes up the full (or at least close to) the entire white section.

The layout remains the same (that is, the copyright bar stays at the bottom of hte browser).

Whoever does this wins a gmail invite, 200 bits, my eternal gratitude and a link to their site (if applicable) in the links section, and a thank you on the page.
JHanson90

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness wrote:
That first link that I posted, I need someone to edit it to do the following:

The frame in the middle takes up the full (or at least close to) the entire white section.

The layout remains the same (that is, the copyright bar stays at the bottom of hte browser).

It does seem to take up the whole white section only if you view it in Internet Explorer. Maybe you're all using Mozilla and weren't able to view it right. I used Mozilla first too, and tried it in IE, it looked the way you want it to look. You're probably better off finding another way to do it then sticking to that frame; forcing everyone to use M$'s IE Razz
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

As long as you're happy using frames...

I have something worked out that's 99% of the way there, minus a few tiny details you could probably work out. Can you give send me an e-mail address so I can send a zip file, since it appears we can't attach files here anymore?
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

martin@compsci.ca Very Happy
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: