Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 vote for which laptop i should get (details on page 2)
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

which laptop should i get?
(No ending time set)
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
go for intel
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:20 pm   Post subject: vote for which laptop i should get (details on page 2)

i went to hp.com and customized a pretty sweet laptop(except for gpu) and it turned out to be a pretty good deal

Mazer edit (huge link)
click

i was just wonderin how trustworthy hp comps are and wether if i should consider that laptop
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Build quality is generally better with Toshiba and IBM laptops. Of course, Apple beats all three (four if you count HP and Compaq latops separately) on that issue, but if you're primarily looking for a gaming a laptop, you probably won't consider that option.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have had 2 hp pcs and they both worked fine hardware wize. Only problems i had where with software but i do not think that had anything to do with hp but rather crapy winxp. Ahother thing i noticed about the hp pc is the inside is done up realy nice and all the wires are tide and clean. Athougth i do not know if there laptops are the same way.

If you are going for a gaming laptop then i whould deftanly recomend Alineware if u have the money. Dell also makes a good gaming laptop that is cheaper i think but deftaly dose not look as cool or have the same featuchers.

Personaly i hate IBM laptops and think you whould be better off with anything (espelay thos IBM think pads Evil or Very Mad). Dell is also ok for a normal non gaming laptop, esaply b/c they have realy good wartys on them and will come to your house to fit them when thry break. One thing about that tho is you need that good waarty b/c they are made of plastic and fall apart. I have some good things about Sony and Toshiba for some light wait ones but have never had one so i am uhseur of that and Apple is well.......Apple....
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Bah... Dell's lptops aren't even remotely near the top of the pack when it comes to reliability.

Thinkpads, however, are built like tanks. Easily the best x86 laptops on the market, but pricier than Toshiba's offerings, and often not better enough to make up the difference.

But yeah, that Dell will be a really good computer... for a month, maybe two. Assuming it isn't broken when it arrives at your door, of course.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Bah... Dell's lptops aren't even remotely near the top of the pack when it comes to reliability.

I will agera they break alot, but they will fix alomost anything that goses wrong and fast. With my dell they lost money on me buying it b/c they had to replace the mother borad so many times.

wtd wrote:

Thinkpads, however, are built like tanks. Easily the best x86 laptops on the market, but pricier than Toshiba's offerings, and often not better enough to make up the difference.

Unless somting has drasctly chaged in the last few months with thinkpads i think you are wrong about the tanks thing. Every one i know who has had a Thinkpad has had it break in some mager way and not been able to have it repaired. Mostly the probles where with the screen dieing or the hdd crashing and them losing everything. Also the mouses on thos things suck so much, i hated that dum litte dot of a mouse. In adtion to that they are also mostly plasitck cases witch can lead to cracks and bad things and there desging is so boring, but i do not think many poleop care about what it looks like Razz

They are deafatly cheaper then most laptops tho, athougth i think u get what you pay for Confused

Some of the other laptop manfatorers are Panasonic, Acer and Compaq.

Edit: that link you posted dose not seem to take you to the spfieck model of hp notebook, could u tell us witch one u are looking at. Just whondering b/c one of the hp notebook models looks and i think is almost indecatal to the alineware area-51.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

www.ibuypower.com , the fastest cheapest and most powerful laptops in north america , and these guys are excellent check out hteir reseller ratings ,

they have a laptop with athalon 64 3000+ and 512 ram with a ati 9700 pro , for only

1399 USD thats under 2000$ dollars , THAST FAST and cheap , i a person in hte family has owned one and it was fabulous there support is top notch

http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thx guys, i've prettty much decided to get that hp one. dan i would get an alienware if i had enuff money simply because of the fact that you could upgrade the gpu, but its just a bit outta my price range... my parents said something about around 2500 canadian so that hp one fits pretty well. shorthair, ur site overcharges the upgrade from a64 3000+ to 3400+ like mad.. $220 hp does it for 100 bux but i do like their gpu and their 5400rpm hdd.. o wels
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

woa, now they have the 3700+ cpu....
whats better 60 gig hdd wit a dvd burner or 80 gig without one
o and when they say additional battery, is it gona be inside the laptop?
and is the gpu really that bad? would it be horrible for gaming?
o and since hp and compaq merged, are compaq laptops good too?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge_tomahawk wrote:
when they say additional battery, is it gona be inside the laptop?

You're most likely going to have to swap the optical drive for the battery. So in all likelihood, having the extra battery means no CD or DVD drive.

From reading your posts I really think trying to find a laptop that's good for gaming is a bad idea. You could probably build your own gaming PC quite inexpensively, and get a laptop better suited to work/school uses for a similar price, and have machines better suited to each goal.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i wouldnt be able to get a pc for another year, so i need something that'll get me through this time... ppl told me that the GeForce4 440 Go is absolute junk... is that true?
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge_tomahawk wrote:
i wouldnt be able to get a pc for another year, so i need something that'll get me through this time... ppl told me that the GeForce4 440 Go is absolute junk... is that true?

Not absolute junk, but it's definitely at the low end of the spectrum.
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

HP computers.. no idea.. they are probably good.. well the only reason i would recommend them is only cuz they have great opensource support.. their printers are definitly worth it.. highly compatible.. full performance on a mac windows and linux. hence just great!
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

are compaqs as good as hp? and as for that gpu, i noe its crap but will it be able to run games like doom 3?
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge_tomahawk wrote:
are compaqs as good as hp? and as for that gpu, i noe its crap but will it be able to run games like doom 3?

Well, there are different levels... run, walk... crawl.
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dude no one else does the 63 BIT laptop , im sure that the only reason hte overcharge is becuse its 64 BIT , you wont get 64 from HP ,
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 68 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: