Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Linux Install - WTF?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:55 pm   Post subject: Linux Install - WTF?

Alright, I finally did it.

On the suggestion of a few computer people, I've made a small partition on one of my HDDs, and have installed Linux.

I used the Damien install CD, and have run the setup program.

What the h3ll am I supposed to do to set everything up?

-Z
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well that ushely greatly depends on the distro you have, unforty i have not used Damien b4 so i whould not know what kind of apps and progames you have now.

1st thing whould be to set up your display drivers so you can at least get to a desktop. Do you have YaST with that distro? or SaX2 by any chance?

Did you pick damien for any pticaualr reason? B/C there are some other distros that may be alot easyer to set up like SuSE.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Genesis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What exactly do you mean by set everything up?

Although I've never used Damien either. (Suse is a good one, providing you don't use the downloaded personal version cd. Also, Fedora Core 2 I just installed on one of my systems, and it's pretty easy to set up.)
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well the SuSE personal cd is not a problem if u do not mind instaling alot of apps affter u instal linux Rolling Eyes

if you have never used linux b4 and just whont to try it out you may also whont to check out some live cds. they let u use linux with out having to install anything by runing it off the cd Wink
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Genesis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya, but for newbs to linux, that Suse disk is missing quite a few things to find and install with no previous experience.

And I've never used one of those live cd's, though I've heard they're not that great. I don't see how you could accuratley recreate the linux experience without actually installing and using the OS.
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I've only used a live Linux CD when my Windows Install was borked and I had one hell of a recovery job to do. It suited my needs well enough... although they could've done a little better than setting KDE as the default desktop environment. Smile

I've never actually heard of Damien (but then, I guess I'd be considered new to Linux as well). In fact, I first thought you meant Debian. So I can't really help you there, but I can offer you the opinion that Mandrake is really easy to install and set up.
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Heh, I dunno anything about linux and the onlything I've seen that has to do with linux is this:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

but my question is, without a desktop, can u startup with linux? and is there some sort of command prompt?
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The command prompt is Linux. From there you can set up a desktop environment (or just a nice window manager if you like). And if you run into problems, it's ok because there are browsers and chat clients available that were made to be used from the prompt. Of course, there's bound to be at least one desktop environment available to be installed when you first install Linux. Usually KDE or Gnome (pfft).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
templest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mazer wrote:
The command prompt is Linux. From there you can set up a desktop environment (or just a nice window manager if you like). And if you run into problems, it's ok because there are browsers and chat clients available that were made to be used from the prompt. Of course, there's bound to be at least one desktop environment available to be installed when you first install Linux. Usually KDE or Gnome (pfft).

Desktop Environment? What's this "DE" you speak of? Oh, you mean the thing with the buttons and the colours? Yeah, I think I have one of those.

I personally just stick to the window managers, ie: blackbox. (although KDE does simplify things greatly). But yeah, there's plugins for that, so I don't worry. Smile
templest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

By the way, Paul, didn't I post that in the "Awsome Wallpapers!" thread in spam? Laughing
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

best desktop enviroments imo..

GNOME, KDE and WindowMaker, Fvwm

edit: and ENLIGHTENMENT,, heh phew
templest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

YOU FORGOT ENLIGHTENMENT!!!!!!$@*^#%$&#$#@&^RIGW#RV BIF*VBCW*FG Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Shocked woops Laughing
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would just like to take this time to point out that I didn't mention Enlightenment because I didn't want to sound like some fool who rambles on an on about something that's supposedly great. I only do that with Blender (which owns, btw). Anyways... yes, I could never forget Enlightenment, unless I decide to go completely terminal-based and claiming that graphical interfaces are for newbies. Surprised

edit: besides, I don't want to constantly annoy people to inform them of my dislike of KDE. I prefer to annoy on occassion. Like this. KDE sucks! Why switch to Linux just to use a Windows-wannabe?
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm sorry.

I meant 'debian' not 'damien'

darn similar names.

I'll have a linux-literate friend help install it.

-Z
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: