Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Windows XP Service Pack 2.
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:14 pm   Post subject: Windows XP Service Pack 2.

It's out. What do you think?

I installed it on my m6805 and everything went to hell.

Login time jumped from 5 seconds to about 3 minutes. None of the extra buttons worked anymore. It completely ignored my [fn] key. And if I tried to shut down, the computer completely locked up on me. Also, it locked up randomly as well.

It looked cool. They got rid of the professional in the boot screen (why?). Plus the wireless network wizard was very good.

So the conclusion? Another typical Microsoft release.

Post your thoughts.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think only M$ could come up with gr8 secuity imporvments like Yelling at you ever 5 seconeds b/c your crapy windows firewall is not on when u have a hardware fire wall and that your anti virus software is not uptodate when it is. Realy this could make things more sceucer for my comp, it will get so anyoned i will reboot in to linux and stay there (that whould be 100000 times more secure then windows). Also the IE pop-up blocker is a joke and just messes over sites that uses pop-ups for menus like gmail.

That boot screen thing pissed me off as well, i had my own boot screen instaled and it looked prity sweat and now i got to remod it.

They seemed to have also chaged the wifi icon and made some chagees there, i am still not shure if it is any better tho.

If they keep going on like this with "secrity updates" the next one will disable your netconection and when u reanable it, it will make a big flashing red screen come up with bells going off saying "warning, warning, you are online, omg we are all going to die".
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The security centre is annoying, boot time increased like yours, HDD crashed a few days later. I do like the better wireless support though.

It does more harm than good unless you've installed it after a fresh reformat.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so... should I get it?
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yes, but back up everything u whont to keep 1st.

I blive there are some import secuity holes that are fixed in that update.

Has any one tryed to install it on a dual booting comp? 1/2 windows, 1/2 linux? b/c i do not whont to have windows eat my linux partion (agane).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

worked for me fine , and you can disable the windows security centre , there is a check box saying " Dont worry about Firewall protection " and one for antivirus , that was you dont get annoying messages , Make sure its an official release aswell , and not hte final beta or a ripped version , Grab hte bit torrent version from suprnove
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i whould think most poloep whould download it from windows update, unless of corse u have illgeal copys of winxp.

I got to find that don't wory about firewall buttion b/c this thing is drving me nuts.
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Turn off the new security centre:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.

Double-click on the Security Centre icon.

Click on "Change the way Security Center alerts me"

Uncheck whatever ones you don't want and click ok.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i havent checked wheter its on Windows update yet ,the first 2 weeks it came out , they choose not to put it on there , they used torrents and Sharing , they didnt want to flood their servers ,
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I did install it from a fresh format.

I don't know about the IE popup thing, because I refuse to use IE.

Hopefully they'll fix this. Until then, i've got my firefox Very Happy
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well i do not use IE ether, i just whonted to see what they chaged in it. Firefox is still wayyyyyyyyyyy better.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

OMG, i have been instaling SP2 on all my comps and i just got to my laptop and now the wifi is messed to hell. the net works when it says it is not conected and it dose not work when it says it is conected.

Also on another one of my comps with a legal cd key and copy of windows SP2 side that my comp had a bad cd key and deacivted it. Now it says to put in the cd key, and i have tryed like 5 difrent legal ones and it says they are all invaled.

Where is that linux cd......
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Good thing I lost my legal CD and am now protected from this new virus. Er, new "fix", I mean.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, so true. so far out of the 4 comps i have instaled it on it has done bad things to 2 of them and realy anyoing things to 1. I still have one more comp to try it on but i am thinking i may be better off just throwing it out the window on to the street and then runing it over servreal times with a car. (no one will hack it then :p)
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

no... who REALLY pays for windows... out of the 4 different windows CD's I've used for the past 6 years, I've yet to pay for one...
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 35 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: