Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Excuses, excuses...
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:01 pm   Post subject: Excuses, excuses...

A few days back I was invited to a friend's going away party. A day ago for some reason,call it spidey sense, call it stupidity, I got the idea that going to the party would be a bad idea. So I was left with the task of coming up with a lie. Clearly, I couldn't just say "Hm... no, I don't want to go" because that would be a terrible thing to say. And I can't just not show up because I work with ALL of these people (with the exception of the one leaving).

My problem is coming up with a lie. An "excuse" if you will. I can hold a lie fairly well (IMHO), but coming up with one is a pain for me. I don't normally like to deceive, but sometime ya just gotta. In this case I said something about my sister came back from university and my brother was going to leave the next day so my parents wanted to have dinner as a whole family together before people start going away again.

What's your most effective/most used excuse for anything? Share, discuss, brainstorm.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The earth is going to come to be destroyed and I must spend the last few hours with my family.

Hehe
Hm, well I don't lie really-- ya, im not in a habbit.
But how about,

I completly forgot, today is my countries [bla] holiday, and my family i coming down for the day-- Would love to ome and get out (rather then be here) but can't. Sorry

Sounds pretty real Rolling Eyes i think. Iunno Razz
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, I would like to use that, considering how surprisingly stupid people can be. But one of my friends at work (not to mention my manager) is also Greek, and word would get around that my statement is in fact false.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

could always blame family Wink

your aunt is coming for a visit, and your mom is making you stay at home and entertain your little cousin(s) while she's going out for a dinner with her sister Laughing or something Confused

"something came up with the family, can't say no"
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
"something came up with the family, can't say no"

That's pretty much the basis of my excuse. But aren't there better ones? If all the excuses we've come up with so far are family related, is it possible that most people would come up with a family related excuse if they were in the same situation? And if so, wouldn't that mean that people should be more likely to suspect this excuse when hearing it?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, my excuse is pretty specific to me. I don't believe that there are too many people who could use this excuse, apart from me.

"My car broke down and I can't get a ride into town."

My parents drive a 1977 volvo. It breaks down often.
I live in the boonies, far away from civilization.

Confused
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

... I gotta pickup my grandma from toronto pearson airport.
naoki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I usually tell them I hafta go eat dinner with my Greek friend because his sister's coming back and his brother's going away Wink

Okay okay. It's either that or my Greek friend has some spare ouzo and has compressed the liquid into a solid sphere and wants me to die with him. That only works once though Crying or Very sad

BTW, where's Knightmare going?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

naoki wrote:
BTW, where's Knightmare going?

Laurentian.

naoki wrote:
I usually tell them I hafta go eat dinner with my Greek friend because his sister's coming back and his brother's going away Wink

Okay okay. It's either that or my Greek friend has some spare ouzo and has compressed the liquid into a solid sphere and wants me to die with him. That only works once though Crying or Very sad

LOL. Very Happy Very Happy
the_short1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey im greek too u know..

and german Razz go nazis! ... jk...

anyways...

this is a good one i think..

My computer crashed... . . . . . . . . . . . . . <add a little in there if u want//

or

My parents PC crashed and they need it to finish a BIG project for work

i think those work good

i was basically grounded to my house for 1 month fixing my PC the first time it crashed... i was only 12 and i knew NOTHING... Sad now takes 2 hours Razz 1 to salvage files / format, 1 to install windows
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: