Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A Beginner
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TheFerret

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:52 am   Post subject: A Beginner

I am completely new to programming in Java but I will be taking CompSci in grade 11 first thing, first semister and am trying to learn some Java now so I can get a little bit of a head start but I am not sure where to start out... I do have an editor, Netbeans IDE ver. 3.6...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Try Sun's Java tutorial.
Kingnoz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You could also try using the Tutorials section. There is some stuff on the basics such as arrays, datafiles, strings, etc.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And it never hurts to give other programming languages a try. Java can be a bit much syntactically.
TheFerret

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I forgot one thing in my first post, I know Turing a lot and am pretty good at it...
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Good. Now what do you know about object-oriented programming?
TheFerret

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That the more you do, the better you get at it...

(If you are saying that it sucks, then it does... But, if you are not saying that, then it does not suck...)
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Confused
I think he has no idea what OOP is Thinking
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
TheFerret

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know what it is but I don't get what the question is asking for, too general...

(OOP is easy and Java is not OOP and is not easy)
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

TheFerret wrote:
Java is not OOP and is not easy

Eh
I am disgusted
I'm with stupid
do you know what java is?? ROFL
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Object-oriented programming involves concepts like:

Encapsulation
Interfaces
Composition
Inheritance (single and multiple)
Delegation
Polymorphism
Modularity

If you feel confident that you know what these terms mean, how they're significant, and how to properly apply them, than you probably have a firm grasp of object-oriented programming.
TheFerret

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What I want to know is why are you asking that question(s)...
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

To be an effective Java programmer, you'll have to understand those concepts.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

TheFerret wrote:
(If you are saying that it sucks, then it does... But, if you are not saying that, then it does not suck...)

All programming languages suck. The more languages you learn, the more you'll realize that. Smile

Java is one of the ones that sucks more than others. It mindlessly copied the syntax and in many cases the semantics of C (probably because of all the old school C hackers at Sun) rather than realizing that there's no deep syntactic or semantic compatibility and taking the opportunity to abandon the old cruft and create a better language with a better syntax.

For instance, in a language with polymorphism and introspection/reflection, why should I be limited to using "switch" on ints? Using the same tools in Ruby I can use its equivalent to "switch" in vastly more powerful ways.

code:
case "hello"
   when "world"
      "foo"
   when "foo", "bar"
      "foo bar!"
   when /yo/
      "oy..."
   else
      "wooble"
end
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

A language is good if it enforces standards and is not too flexible. It is good if it enforces a good consistant style of programming. It is good if it simplifies coding, brings about an ease in maintainance and extensibility. Java does all this and hence i say java is great. Although there are a few things here and there that could be improved for sure, but backward compatibility will always keep languages as such from being modified too quickly. So far i find java pretty good. 1.5 definately will do a better job in simplifying a lot of coding and i recommend learning all thats new in 1.5 and incorporate it into ur projects.
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 21 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: