Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 VB Mindset?
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:18 pm   Post subject: VB Mindset?

Um... I'm new to VB, we're doing it next year in class and I wanted to get ahead, so I dug a textbook out of the basement, "Programming with Visual Basic 6.0" anyhow, Im just starting.
I've looked over VB, and it seems like its for making simple things for windows, I'm wondering if anyone can, I dunno, tell me somethings about VB which will help me think in a VB programming mindset. I mean, I'm used to using turing, and thats where you program your own buttons and if you wanted to draw something, you'd use a draw command, but with VB, you work on a form 'n everything, and I got a feeling that it's directed towards another direction all together. If anyone can give me some pointers as to how to think about an VB app, I'd appreciate it. It's hard for me to explain, when I make a turing program, I think about what I want to make, then I think about the steps I have to go through to make it, with VB, I dunno what to think, can anyone nudge me in the right direction?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

its easier to think of VB as an event driven programming language. Meaning rether then looking at the big picture all together, you cover all possible events in the program (such as button beling clicked) one at a time.

you would usually start with a blank form and start covering possible events. Such as form_load.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
betaflye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but Turing was procedural in it's nature, it executes from beginning to end. Visual basic is based on the idea of events. When this happens certain code is executed. You must write it into the various events.

Also, there is more to Visual Basic than just forms, you can make ActiveX controls, console applications, link to databases. It isn't a simple language at all, it's very powerful once you begin to learn it. You can also access the Windows API for even more power.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Be certain that you'll be learning VB6. If you're using VB.Net, there's absolutely no point in learng VB6 as they're quite different.
betaflye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

May as well just learn VB.Net, VB6 is now obsolete Smile
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: