Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Truing runing on Linux
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:04 am   Post subject: Truing runing on Linux

Using some windows exe emulators i was able to get turing working on a linux install (SuSE distro). I tested it and it could run all the progames i wrote in it. just thougth some poleop whould like to know b/c i rember some post awhile about about turing for linux.

All you have to do is get a copy of turing (not the installer but the files) and put it on your linux install. Then using an eumator like wine it seems to run for verson 4.0.1 of turing (have not tested it on other versons).

I added some screen shots of it runing on linux to this post.

P.S. you will probly need an GUI desktop of some kind or it whould be kind of hard to use it Razz , i used KDE for this test.

snapshot3.png
 Description:
it works!
 Filesize:  362.13 KB
 Viewed:  4540 Time(s)

snapshot3.png

Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Raugrist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well obviously the emulator would run it. But why? What's the advantage of turing in linux, when it's still turing?
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Raugrist wrote:
What's the advantage of turing in linux, when it's still turing?

that it's linux and not windows Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

u can also get starcraft and winamp3 to run on that thing u know. and a couple of other apps check it out: http://appdb.winehq.org/

i guess the best app to get running is M$ Word. yea i know its m$ but u gotta give them credit.. thats good stuff they have there... so far unbeatable. OpenOffice.org has a long way to go. Mr. Green
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey do me a fav. check and see if quicktime and iTunes runs Very Happy
nvm apparently its not easy to port it. *sigh*
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:

i guess the best app to get running is M$ Word. yea i know its m$ but u gotta give them credit.. thats good stuff they have there... so far unbeatable. OpenOffice.org has a long way to go. Mr. Green

Ahhhhhhhh not word, use open office. it is just as good, can even open word doumcements and best of all it is free, open sorce and not M$.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Raugrist wrote:
Well obviously the emulator would run it. But why? What's the advantage of turing in linux, when it's still turing?

Not that obviousl acualy, alot of aplications do not work right when eumalted if they work at all. And as tony side the adavatge is that it is linux Razz. Just means that u can use turing on another OS, wich gives us more fredom.

I was just realy borad late at night (2am) so i thought it whould be funny to try to run turing when on linux. Means alot to me tho, i do not have to switch OSs when helping poleop with turing.

Edit: one update on this, i tryed to compile a turing progame to an exe in linux and it worked but it crashed turing affter. The exe tho was fine and even it could be run in linux with wine. I have been trying to emulate some more adavced progamers like eMule but it did not work out (but there are linux verson of emule like xmule so that is no big problem).
SeanWestdaleWarriors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You need CrossOver Office to run Quicktime and Word.

But its $39.99 USD.

http://www.codeweavers.com/site/products/cxoffice/

Open Office is fine for me, but I would like to run Adobe Photoshop instead of The Gimp, so I may buy it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And use xmms instead of winamp! jeeze...
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ah no way winamp rox ... c'mon its free
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
ah no way winamp rox ... c'mon its free

If you're using Windows anyway... iTunes is the only way to go. Smile
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yep thats what i use 99.9% of the time

speaking of apple products.. i recommend all those using iTunes or even those not using iTunes to go and download Darwin Streaming Server (DSS for short heh) its just GREAT!!!!! and opensource !!!!!

- usefull for streaming videos
- usefull as your own personal mp3 streaming server

- there are binaries for win2k/xp and redhat/solaris/osx
and u can compile it from source as well
Maverick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wow linux sure is ugly
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Maverick wrote:
wow linux sure is ugly

Gnome is generally more attractive than KDE, due to being more minimal (still feature-rich, but not kitchen sink featureful Wink )
Genesis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think Linux looks way better than Windows. Even KDE.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 58 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: