Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 my computer is fucked
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:21 pm   Post subject: my computer is fucked

umm... yeah... I'd like some help, guys over at HP tech were no help cuz my computer is out of warranty... bastards Mad

anyways, here's the deal. I was doing some rearrangements on my desk and moved one of the monitors (i got 2) in favour of larger speakers (my bro moved his stereo into my room, so now I got 500W speakers with a base system that doubles as a fan)... eh, I'm getting offtrack. With the 2nd monitor obsolite, I've helped myself into BIOS and changed the default monitor from AGP to PCI (so that it would boot from the other monitor)

that's when things went screwy. Now my computer doesn't boot. I mean it doesn't boot at all Confused It turns on... jumper lights turn on... monitor turns on and displays that blue HP logo but that's preaty much as far as it gets. There're no beeping noises, and the keyboard turns off after few seconds (quits responding to num lock)

I've tried resetting BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery, but that doesn't help. Computer still doesn't boot from any drive.

what could be wrong?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

What's wrong is that it's a celeron.
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ooo I've had that happen to me b4, but found out later it was a bad connection with the slave drive.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm... well supposedly if some component just fried itself at the reboot, which one could it be?

I still think its some problem with BIOS though, and I can't see to be able to reset it Confused I'm calling HP again Rolling Eyes
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

what if its the video card? try removing the pci one and use the other.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

haha Laughing Blade, I figured that and already fixed the system, but that was exactly what was wrong with it. My system got some messed up capability issue with the PCI gfx card set as default in BIOS (it works just fine set as default in my system though, so it all works out, I just can't see the booting screen)

but thx Smile You clearly know more then some tech support guys Rolling Eyes

I thought I'd treat you guys to some pictures
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

mySpeakers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.18 KB
 Viewed:  4981 Time(s)

mySpeakers.jpg

myCeleron.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.5 KB
 Viewed:  4987 Time(s)

myCeleron.jpg

Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

w hoa, what on earth are you going to do with such huge speakers for a COMP Neutral woo
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Uh... really loud music?... yea... lol, either that or to "blow women's clothes off"
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

mabye if they are wearing really flimsy clothes and are sitting in close proximity to the speakers lol... but cool pic with the computer's guts everywhere.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

good thing that is an LCD screen b/c thos speaskers whould be messing over any other kind. Speakers ushely got some magitick felds around them, thats how i lost one of mine b4.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think nearly all computer speakers nowadays are magnetically shielded. But yeah, on my really old computer i used to put the speakers next to the monitor and it would go all wierd.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:08 am   Post subject: (No subject)

haha, donno about blowing cloth off, but base does double as a fan 8) Right now they're wired to the stereo system, but if I got time (if I got time? damn it, I'm done highschool and I'm still looking for time Rolling Eyes ) I'll be getting a wire to hook it all up to the PC... I've already got a switch to the alternate speakers in case I dont want to osalate my house during the night Laughing
Blade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

DUDE!! it looks like you can hide some secret rocket launcher into the tops of those... you could use it as a home security system, while being a fan and speakers
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Or.... you could hide an apparatus to "blow women's clothes off"
the_short1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea... thats some nice speakers. ...

yea most 'Computers speakers' are magnectically sehilded.... not normal steroe speakers.

yea..

nice cables to have..

steroe earphone sized MALE end .. two wires comming from that... left and right RCA jacks (FEMALE)

its a nice little connector..

then from there u can hook a patch cable (RCA- L R) from there to the AUX of ur steroe system...

its really SWEET//
well thats how i have mine hooked up... well add in a 3 way spliter for the earphone jack so i can have 3 amps hooked up instead of just one Smile

so LCD monitors are not affected by the magnetic feild? hmm.. have to remember that...

yea... my current monitor is kinda messed... it jiggles the taskbar (near the clock side) because i have my massive sub box (4 speakers) rite up to it.. o well... not like its a good monitor... hell i got it for free Razz
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 22 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: