Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 borland vs visual c++
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:08 pm   Post subject: borland vs visual c++

I have experience programming in microsoft visual c++, but here in university we will be using borland compiler instead. We went over a sample Hello World and it all looks different (mostly due to the use of different headers).

Does anyone know what exactly are the differences between the two compilers (writing syntax wise)?

side note: I was hoping for java, but I dont see that happening. In fact we'll be taking a step back into C by the end of the term

Why would they start teaching with C++ and then move to C? Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

no idea.. but borland compiler is the best c++ compiler out there on the windows platform. its error reporting is better than most other compilers (but not as good as javac Wink).. and it enforces ansi standards.

comparing it to gnu compiler.. well lets just say gnu only advantave is the fact that is found on such a large number of platforms. but otherwise borlands compiler is still by far much better. now it may not seem as such a big deal to have a compiler supporting a large number of platform.. well in reality it is.. cuz u see.. c++ code is not always portable from one compiler to another.. and having one compiler support soo many platforms.. then all you need to do to port you applications is simply recompile (of course this depends on the libraies you use as well).. so that actually is the only reason one would rather prefer gnu to borland..

as another plus point for the borland compiler is the fact that it is relatively much much faster in compilation as compared to gnu's or microsoft's. and hey its free Wink

as far as c++/c syntax goes.. you dont have to worry it enforces ansi standards.

PS: another nice compiler is Digital Mars.. but i would rather stick to borland for now.. let just say dmc has its flaws.. but hey its rather new.. soo... we just have to wait and see... not to mention borland is a well supported compiler is a large number of libraries out there.. as opposed to dmc.. which has soo little support from anyone Smile
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Ha, so I'm not the only one. Tony: what does the Hello World source look like?
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i'd definately recommend VC++ .net 2k3 for their .net environment... if you just do standard C++... you may way to stay away from VC++6 though
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

borland is pissing me off. It can't load the <string> , it can't add character arrays, it seems to be missing type casting and arrays break the graphics library I'm using Confused

eh... so one step at a time : how do I put together a string with a variable in the middle and pass that into a function?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
borland is pissing me off. It can't load the <string> , it can't add character arrays, it seems to be missing type casting and arrays break the graphics library I'm using Confused

eh... so one step at a time : how do I put together a string with a variable in the middle and pass that into a function?

code:
#include <sstream>
#include <string>

void some_proc(std::string input);

int main()
{
   std::stringstream ss;
   int a = 42;
   std::string first = "foo", second = "bar";

ss << first << a << second;

some_proc(ss.str());   
}
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
its error reporting is better than most other compilers (but not as good as javac Wink)

Really... you have got to try the O'Caml compiler (ocamlc) if you think javac is the high water mark in error reporting.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

aha

well I figured thats the graphics library we're using, is for some strange reason includes a String class of its own.. worse off - its called just that - String. So guess what - if I try to include the <string>, program breaks Rolling Eyes
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm... I knew Borland had a graphics library, but are you guys actually using it in assignments?
McKenzie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

As far as starting with C++ then going back to C, that's not a bad idea at all. They want you to establish current coding practices, but they also want you to be more employable. There is a hugh installed base of good old ANSI C code out there. I'm sure they just plan to give you some highlights on the restrictions of using C rather than C++.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: