Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Accessing a Specific Memory Address
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
andytyk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:07 pm   Post subject: Accessing a Specific Memory Address

Given an arbitrary memory location, how do I load the value stored at that address into a variable?

Is it even possible? I've been searching online, but haven't come up with any solutions.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

code:
int main()
{
   int arbitrary_address = 0x01010101;
   char * ptr = static_cast<char *>(arbitrary_address);
}
andytyk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Copy and pasted into VC++,

Untitled.cpp(8 ) : error C2440: 'static_cast' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'char *'
Conversion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

code:
char * ptr = (char*)arbitrary_address;

I'm not sure if thats the proper c++ way to do this, but it works with no problems for me.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Catalyst wrote:
code:
char * ptr = (char*)arbitrary_address;

I'm not sure if thats the proper c++ way to do this, but it works with no problems for me.

Yes that does work. That's how I did it initially, then decided to be too smart and replaced it with static_cast without testing it again. Smile
andytyk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Compiled using VC++ 6, it doesn't run into any problems during compilation, but when it is run, it generates one of those "Report to Microsoft" errors and doesn't return the desired result.

I am merely trying to devise a way to pass values between two programs running concurrently (written in different languages), I was thinking of simply using files, but then I realized memory would be faster. Oh well, I'll work on the disk file implementation then.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:08 am   Post subject: (No subject)

andytyk wrote:
Compiled using VC++ 6, it doesn't run into any problems during compilation, but when it is run, it generates one of those "Report to Microsoft" errors and doesn't return the desired result.

Because you accessed a memory location you're not allowed to access.

andytyk wrote:
I am merely trying to devise a way to pass values between two programs running concurrently (written in different languages), I was thinking of simply using files, but then I realized memory would be faster. Oh well, I'll work on the disk file implementation then.

You could possibly also use sockets and create a simple client/server environment.

If you do try to use a file, you'll need to lock the file when you write to it. Otherwise you'll get two files making changes to the same file at the same time. That leads to pure insanity.

I would have a server program disconnected from any other program you're working on. Other programs would then be able to connect to it and make requests. Sound like a database? That's pretty much what I'm describing.
andytyk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Because you accessed a memory location you're not allowed to access.

Then how do programs such as memory editors (ie. game cheating programs) access and write to the memory of other programs?

I have the file based method up and working so the issue is resolved. But would still like to see an answer to the question above. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: