Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Question about browsers
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
zomg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:55 am   Post subject: Question about browsers

hi i am wondeing what makes IE6 for XP SP2 Any different then Mozilla FireFox

i have noticed that they're pretty well the same

but alot of people here say firefox is better
why is that? is it just because IE is made M$ or is they're really an advantge to use firefox
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

err.. first of all ie uses alot of useless resources.. also it is very vulnerable to hackers, and also it crashes alot.. firefox is alot better.. trust me, not only the browser, but also cuz it has nice themes and extensions allowing u to customize your firefox for your own needs
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, IE uses more and more for me infact, it would start out at like 10,000k or something, and after 2 hours it goes to like 70,000k or more.
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Definately go with firefox.

The only reason I could see keeping Internet Explorer for would be Windows Update.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What first drew me to Mozilla was tabbed browsing, a feature that is absolutely 100% useful. AFAIK, there's no IE plugin that will have similar results.

After switching to Firefox, I of course found hundreds of other reasons to continue using it. But if nothing else, tabbed browsing alone is worth the switch.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
What first drew me to Mozilla was tabbed browsing, a feature that is absolutely 100% useful. AFAIK, there's no IE plugin that will have similar results.

There are actually several browser sbuilt around IE that allow tabbed browsing. They're still crap, but they do tabbed browsing.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

mouse gestures! They are so useful that I find myself trying to use them in other applications (mostly in windows explorer and sometimes msn) Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
JHanson90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Internet Explorer uses ActiveX. ActiveX is what makes it so that anyone to quietly upload programs to a computer through the browser (if it's connected to the Internet). XP SP2 (as in specifically for XPSP2, not for any other Windows OS) claims that IE will warn you when someone tries to do that, but it's never warned me, either that, or it wasn't a prominent enough warning, and I later found spyware installed. Firefox does not use the ActiveX technology, therefore eliminating most spyware threats, plus the fact that Firefox deeply repels all threats, including popups.

Also, Firefox is more adherent to Web standards.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
templest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I can't believe no one's mentioned it so far, like c'mon: AD-BLOCK!
It also has a neat feature of having a search bar in the "bookmarks" side panel, which comes in handy when you have 200+ bookmarked pages.
There's also the fact that when you search for text in a webpage you hit "/" and a bar pops up on the bottom of the pages, instead of having a window come up that obstructs your view.
Built-in pop-up blocker (I think SP2 IE has this now, though).
It also has a feature when you go to a secured page to, for example, buy something with a credit card, it'll show the URL that the site spews out in the address bar, but it'll show a authentic URL of where the page resides on the bottom status-bar. So you know if it's a scam or not.
Resume / Pause support for downloads. And they're all managed in one neat / compace download manager.
Tabbed Browsing (worth mentioning again).

I'm sure I can think of more reasons, but I'm too lazy.
EDIT: Oh yeah, IE doesn't render PNG images properly! Mad
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
mouse gestures! They are so useful that I find myself trying to use them in other applications (mostly in windows explorer and sometimes msn) Laughing

soo true... o and yea ad block, thats a big one too
md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Firefox actually renders proper CSS! And PNGs! If you visit my site with IE it looks fubar'd, but with firefox it's a thing of beauty Smile
templest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You have a certain facination with cubes, don't you?
md

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mmmmmmm.... cubes.....
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: