Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 my game of life
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
RobinK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:47 pm   Post subject: my game of life

I wrote the game of life for my com sci final project.
Got perfect -2 marks for no comments +2 bonus marks.

Right now it runs pretty slow in large grids, but I am working on another linked list implementation that will be faster. For now I disable the "Survive/Birth Rules" since it was EXTREMELY slow using the arrays (required the use of string.indexOf() constantly in an infinite loop). I will reenable it latter with the linked list.

Some sizes/grids do not work correctly. They will be drawn fine, but only function for a certain portion of the grid (this is due to the way I calculated the gird, try 300/800 grid for an example of what I mean).

You can try my online applet here: http://www3.sympatico.ca/roy.kissore/Life.html

Life.java
 Description:
RobinK's first version of John Conway's Game of Life.

Download
 Filename:  Life.java
 Filesize:  40.18 KB
 Downloaded:  502 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
poly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm I put in a grid of 10 x 10 and hit NEW GAME but nothing...can you give us a quick run through of what to do to start the game
RobinK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I forgot to mention that the first box needs to be less than or equal to half of the second.

FIRST BOX = GRID SIZE
SECOND BOX = SIZE OF GRID IN PIXELS
ayotise

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:14 am   Post subject: Help me run your program successfully...

i have seen and ran your program on "Game of Life". I don't really know how to operate it. Can you give me an hint on how to do it...
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you guys are unfamiliar with conway's Game of Life, then just read this primer: http://www.bitstorm.org/gameoflife/
alikhan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats pretty neat, but is there a way that you could make the individual boxes larger?
alikhan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

nvm i just learned. this is pretty good
RobinK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ok, it has been a long time...

Let's just say I was bored and decided, out of the random, to update my program. Well that is pretty much the turth. I want to dedicate some summer time to imporving my programmnig skills. Which includes my java skills and a start on learning C/C++.

Although identical in appearence, I rewrote a ton of code. I did a lot of clean up. It is over 200 lines shorter now thanks to inheritance and has three working grids to play with. I also fix quite a few bugs and made some optimzations to the threads.

Enjoy!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/roy.kissore/Life.html

PS: The Survive/Birth IS STILL DISABLED. I plan to implenment this later then I chanage the 2d arrays to linked list. I can enable now, but it is EXETREMELY slow on an array even on high-end processors.

Life.java
 Description:
RobinK's version of John Conway's Game of life. Updated on July 10, 2005.

Download
 Filename:  Life.java
 Filesize:  29.07 KB
 Downloaded:  1044 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
didsbub

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Fun Game. Good time waster
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: