Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Pascal
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
josh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:45 pm   Post subject: Pascal

I was just wondering if their is any point in learning the pascal language or weather I should start of by learning Java or another language. i am a noob who only knows a bit if turing...any suggestions would be welcome on what language I should learn.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ruby, Python, O'Caml...

All have interactive interpreters and will generally be more useful than Pascal. That's not to say Pascal's a bad language, but it's faded from attention, while other languages have continued to be developed enthusiastically.
josh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

do you know where I can get a compiler/IDE for any of those languages as I do not want to buy one if I have not tried the language yet.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

All have free compilers/interpreters.

If you're using Windows:

An installer for the Ruby interpreter is available here. The book online.

You can download the Python installer here. Tutorials.

You can grab O'Caml for Windows here. Tutorials can be found here.
josh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanx for the help. I will look and see which 1 to try. U got nay suggestions on which of the 3 is best??? The only 1 of those I hace hear of b4 is python
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ruby has a cleaner, less confusing object model, and doesn't use Python's controversial indentation.

I have recently discovered Objective Caml, which is rapidly gaining in popularity among hackers. It's different, to say the least, but also enormously powerful.
josh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

kk, I will give Ruby a try. thanx.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Enjoy. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
thegoose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Pascal isn't that bad. Most people on the international level (aka. IOI) use Pascal. It has major advantage over other languages, especially Turing, if you code everything with pointers (I do that, don't laugh). But if you are lazy and want to use its libraries, try C instead.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The largest problem with Pascal is that there's no useful standard for it, either de factor or otherwise. Languages like C, C++, Eiffel, etc. are useful because there's a governing standards body which has said "this is how it shall be, both in terms of language features, and a standard base library of functionality. For other languages (Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.) there is a de facto standard. There is a single primary implementation of the language which nearly everyone save academics use. As a result, there is standardization, and people can use the language without having to worry about significant differences between compilers or interpreters from different vendors.

Pascal has no such assurances. It has, for better or worse, as a result been rendered nearly useless in the modern programming environment.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would suggest you go with Java or C++ instead... (maybe even C#) they are the mainstream languages.
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i agree go with the mainstream programming languages.. that way you are not left out. try java, C++ or even PHP or Perl if ur interested in web development.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Pascal is ONLY good for programming contests... (because it is one of the only three/four language allowed -- ppl use it because thats what they use in school mabye across asia)
if you want real development, try Delphi
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

All of these suggestions are okay, but while Java and C# are relatively simple languages, the libraries associated with them are vast and complex, and easily frustrating for someone new to programming.

Ironically, C++ has relatively simple, easy-to-use standard libraries, but is an incredibly complex language.

The best language for a new programmer is a simple, straightforward language associated with an easy set of libraries.

And remember, you're not going to go out and write the next Quake or smething when you start. The first time out with a programming language should be about learning basics concepts, and good practices. This knowledge can later be applied to other programming languages.

Trust me, I've picked up a dozen or so programming languages, and each one is easier than the last, so start out easy. If you start out hard, you'll just frustrate yourself and become disenchanted.
josh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well I am learmning a bit of turing on my own (I start compscie next year as well as computer enineering). This summer I am also going to a 2 week course to learn game development with Java.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: