Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Someone had to say it... "Chronicles of Riddick" =
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Author Message
templest




PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:04 am   Post subject: Someone had to say it... "Chronicles of Riddick" =

I smell stargate ripoff. And not just that, it's a movie intended for one thing: To suck the mony out of a perfectly good movie, not caring that you've basically detroyed it's reputation of beinga good film.

And the annoyingness of it all is that the previous|better film gets caught up in the bunch, even though it actually is a good movie.

Pitch Black is a kickass movie. People stranded on an alien planet getting killed off one by one by some sort of flying taridactle type of animal, and the protagonist dies at the end and the criminal ends up being one of the last three survivors. It's amazingly written and very well performed.

Now you have a shitty stargate rip off about some super enhanced alien race, where everyone in the universe speaks english by the way, that comes to take over the earth to make us their intergalactic slaves and we should: "Surrender now, or fall forever", who the fuck wrote that line anyways? "fall forever"? Good job. Yes, our race will deterriorate, and be destroyed, constantly, forever, because you know that well after we are destroyed and gone, we'll keep on "falling" for "eternity".

They have shitty costumes, honestly? Do you honestly expect beings from other planets to dress that way? I'm no expert in extraterrestrial fashion but I would assume they wouldn't wear outfits like that, even they would go "Damn dude, you look like a crossdressing prom queen".

Ohh, and the whole fate of human kind relies on this one guy, riddick?

Sorry but uh, this race has destroyed countless of other races, and one guy is going to stop, single handedly, an army of millions? Walk up to the U.S. army and say: "Stick'em!" and let's see how far that get's you.

Riddick, being bad ass in the first movie, get's reduced to being nothing more than a muscle head who LIVES ON THE EDGE!!@!#!@ TO THE EXTREME!!@ With a retarded catch phrase: "You're not afraid of the dark, are you?"

That phrase made sense in the first movie, sure, 6 years of complete darkness due to an eclipse where these carnivorous animals are unleashed on the surface of the planet. "Uhh... we're all gonna die?"

And now he says it before getting into bed with a chick while he turns off the candle!? GODDAMNIT!

Way to go hollywood, ruin a perfectly good movie with a disguisting sequel... assholes.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dauntless




PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh templest, my templest.

Vin Diesel was never meant to take a lead role; in Pitch Black, he was relegated to the role of tough-guy-of-few-words, right? That's what made him cool, and didn't expose his flaws as an actor.

And you can't just knock the costumes right off the bat; maybe their designer is going artistic; its probably more an expression than any type of educated guessing. Anyways, I'm pretty sure none of us can predict what "galactic fashion" will look like.

The catchphrase is clearly meant to be a nod to the first movie, not a catchphrase that Riddick will sling around more than once, like "Watchu talkin bout, Willis?".

But it's definitely a milk-it-for-all-its-worth movie. Clearly they're exploiting Pitch Black's success and Vin Diesel's success with the ladies.
jonos




PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I say coitus Vin Diesal and the Chronicles of Riddick and go and watch Prisoner of Azkaban.
templest




PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No shit. He was way better in the first movie 'cause he did almost no acting. I don't mean that he's a bad actor, but It's just... This new movie seems like a whole 3 hour closeup of him saying corney jokes and killing people.

As about the costumes, I don't care what angle you view it...
they still look rediculous.

And if you think about it, if they came out with 12 movies, and he said that in every movie, only once, would it cease to be a catch phrase because he only says it once per movie? What's the difference between saying in in 2 or 12 movies?

It's like futurama, the doc' says: "Good News, Everybody!" maybe once, in the intro to some episodes. Does that make it no-longer be a catch phrase? Because he doesn't repeat it so often? Confused

Dauntless wrote:
Oh templest, my templest.

Vin Diesel was never meant to take a lead role; in Pitch Black, he was relegated to the role of tough-guy-of-few-words, right? That's what made him cool, and didn't expose his flaws as an actor.

And you can't just knock the costumes right off the bat; maybe their designer is going artistic; its probably more an expression than any type of educated guessing. Anyways, I'm pretty sure none of us can predict what "galactic fashion" will look like.

The catchphrase is clearly meant to be a nod to the first movie, not a catchphrase that Riddick will sling around more than once, like "Watchu talkin bout, Willis?".

But it's definitely a milk-it-for-all-its-worth movie. Clearly they're exploiting Pitch Black's success and Vin Diesel's success with the ladies.
Dauntless




PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, firstly, that's pretty picky. If you want to get that picky, you could argue that "Good news, everybody" is just a phrase and not a catchphrase; it's not like he made it up and it was never around before. Riddick says "You're not afraid of the dark, are you?" That's not exactly a catch phrase either...People have been saying it for a while.
naoki




PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:13 pm   Post subject: Re: Someone had to say it... "Chronicles of Riddick&quo

templest wrote:

Pitch Black is a kickass movie. People stranded on an alien planet getting killed off one by one by some sort of flying taridactle type of animal, and the protagonist dies at the end and the criminal ends up being one of the last three survivors. It's amazingly written and very well performed.

meh, i could've done without the stupid pregnant girl who looks like a guy. her and those idiot orphans really made the movie just a cheesy summer flick.

Quote:

They have shitty costumes, honestly? Do you honestly expect beings from other planets to dress that way? I'm no expert in extraterrestrial fashion but I would assume they wouldn't wear outfits like that, even they would go "Damn dude, you look like a crossdressing prom queen".

heh heh, and no matter how fancy the costumes are, all riddick wears is a black muscle shirt and pants. No armor, no helmet, no electronic sensor. Because he kicks ass, y'know. So obviously he wouldn't need anything besides his body to keep him alive.

Quote:

Ohh, and the whole fate of human kind relies on this one guy, riddick?


DOOM kinda comes to mind. But that's a video game. Err, how about Ripley from the Aliens quadrilogy?


Don't worry, I still hate the movie
templest




PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Dauntless wrote:
Well, firstly, that's pretty picky. If you want to get that picky, you could argue that "Good news, everybody" is just a phrase and not a catchphrase; it's not like he made it up and it was never around before. Riddick says "You're not afraid of the dark, are you?" That's not exactly a catch phrase either...People have been saying it for a while.


Next time you hear someone say in a low tone, slowly said manner:
"You're not afraid of the dark, are you?"
What's the first thing that it'll remind you of?
Same thing, of someone says "Eat my shorts!" or "If anyone wants me, I'll be in my room..."

They're not original, they're just phrases, like you said, but that identify with a certain character. Like: "Good News, Everyone!" or "Bite my shiny metal ass!"

Which I would identify as a catch phrase.

"Pass the Cheese, Please!" Certainly wasn't an original phrase. I could say it whenever I want without thinking of Steve Urcle, for example: when asking for cheese, but when I do say it... It's bound to make a few people remember the show.

EDIT: By the way, who the f-ck is that in your avatar dancing? Very Happy
templest




PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:51 am   Post subject: Re: Someone had to say it... "Chronicles of Riddick&

naoki wrote:

meh, i could've done without the stupid pregnant girl who looks like a guy. her and those idiot orphans really made the movie just a cheesy summer flick.

I disagree.

naoki wrote:

heh heh, and no matter how fancy the costumes are, all riddick wears is a black muscle shirt and pants. No armor, no helmet, no electronic sensor. Because he kicks ass, y'know. So obviously he wouldn't need anything besides his body to keep him alive.

In the first movie you can see the logic in why he wasn't so insanely equipped, he was a prisoner on a ship, therefor stripped of everything. But yeah, you think you'd see him with some sort of armour, ect. when facing an army of millions 1 vs 1,000,000+ Rolling Eyes

naoki wrote:

DOOM kinda comes to mind. But that's a video game. Err, how about Ripley from the Aliens quadrilogy?


Aliens 1 owned, but like "The Chronicles of Riddick", They leeched it WAY too far.
SuperGenius




PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

any movie with vin diesel in a signifigant role won't be very good, because all he does is scowl and talk in that deep voice of his, and sometimes he beats people.
Display posts from previous:   
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   


Style:  
Search: