Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Submarine Missile Command Crisis Periscope: Code Red!
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tripwire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:51 pm   Post subject: Submarine Missile Command Crisis Periscope: Code Red!

This here would be my first [completed] Turing project, and every now and then when I was stuck on some coding concepts I just perused these forums and found sufficient help in the topics of old. So I figured y'all might be interested in the mouldy butter I churned out as a result:

Download here if you missed the link.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Pretty good game made from a "language that doesn't suck goat cheese through a bendy-straw" eh? hehe. I especially liked the menu with the fonts and your over all interface.
P.S your website looked pretty good too.
Tripwire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Heh, you like how I transposed my shortcomings and blamed it all on the language?
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh yea, it was kinda flashy, did u use View.Update?
Tripwire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I did, but I have to admit I wasn't 100% sure of how to use it properly, so it might be in some spots where it doesn't actually do anything. When I first had an initial copy of the code it was flashing more than a Japanese seizure-robot cartoon, but with View.Update I managed to calm it down to the state it's at now.
Delta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Pretty nice... cept it's way too fast on my computer here are some suggestions that may make your game a lil better.

- Definately slow the game down (try FrameRate tutorial)
- Only View.Update once... in a main loop not in processes... try to stay away from processes if you can help it, there is usually always a way around them (cept for music)
- your pics are a lil small, may be hard to tell what's what (cept the submarine)
- try extending the length of the explosion animation (it's a lil short)
- Make lvl's harder as things progress (I couldn't get far so if this is already done that's kewl)
- Make different difficulties... like easy, medium, hard.. and so on
- spice things up... like have the submarines drop things (barrels of toxic waste, or shoot missles)

I'm sure I'll think of more later... I'm a lil busy right now tho
good luck
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

its a preaty nice game, defenatly has things to fix though

flashing - have someone with experience take a look at your View.Updateing, there's defenatly a problem there (I suspect you use it more then once per frame)

controls - I can't swin diagonally. You're using if-elsif structure for your input analysis instead of separate if statements as you should.

graphics - some such as score counter and healthbar can be easily generated using turing's graphics library. It would cut down on the use of bitmaps and give you more control over them.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: