Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Grade 10 FP / ISU : Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jinjin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:19 am   Post subject: Grade 10 FP / ISU : Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

Attached is the game I made for my grade 10 computer science final project. It is a VERY watered down ripoff of the game Guilty Gear XX #Reload (I'm calling it Accent Core because I found the logo looked cooler Razz ). Basically, you play as the character Sol Badguy and you have to defeat the character Kliff Undersn using only your mighty spacebar attack! Unfortunately, jumping and crouching had to be scrapped from the final version due to time constraints. There is a very random AI implemented for Kliff and there are a few glitches.

For more information on the real game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilty_Gear_XX

NOTE: The game must be played in 1024 x 768 pixels for graphics to be displayed properly.

Enjoy Very Happy

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core.zip
 Description:
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core - Includes minimal documentation

Download
 Filename:  Guilty Gear XX Accent Core.zip
 Filesize:  7.54 MB
 Downloaded:  270 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
apomb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:49 am   Post subject: RE:Grade 10 FP / ISU : Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

The program failed to draw any graphics before finishing the first time, then the second time got to drawing the characters then ended, and at that point i realized that the code barely allows for user input, the values for the pictures could utilize arrays, and when doing animation, loops are your friend.

it looks like you have the basic concepts of turing, but some work needs to be done in order for you to improve both this program and future programs.
jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:55 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Grade 10 FP / ISU : Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

apomb @ Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:49 am wrote:
... loops are your friend.

loops are apomb's only friends...

but im getting the same problem so take waht he said into account
jinjin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:05 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Grade 10 FP / ISU : Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

apomb wrote:

The program failed to draw any graphics before finishing the first time, then the second time got to drawing the characters then ended, and at that point i realized that the code barely allows for user input, the values for the pictures could utilize arrays, and when doing animation, loops are your friend.

it looks like you have the basic concepts of turing, but some work needs to be done in order for you to improve both this program and future programs.

Thanks for the input apomb. This was my first attempt at a game in Turing so there are likely several errors and glitches which I have left in the code.

As for the drawing characters problem, at which point did the game stop the second time? Are you referring to the part where it says "Round 1, Fight!" and the characters are looking at each other? Plus, I did realize that arrays could be used, however I am very inexperienced with them so I decided against it. Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by the loops comment. I thought I did use loops for the animation?

Again, thanks for the constructive criticism.
apomb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:29 am   Post subject: RE:Grade 10 FP / ISU : Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

no problem, well, it seems like there are lots of repeated Pic.draw statements that could be integrated into loops instead of just one after another, if you see the same chunk of code more than twice in a row, you know you can be utilizing a loop structure.

as for where it stopped, this is the line it stopped at:
code:
line274: Pic.Draw (scale, 0, 0, picUnderMerge)
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:07 am   Post subject: RE:Grade 10 FP / ISU : Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

Everything worked fine for me, I just got some noobish problems (small coding mistakes).

For ex: instead of telling people to make their resolution whatever it said and setting the screen to max, just set the screen size to whatever the resolution you wanted it to be, not max.

Another thing I noticed was when you kill your opponant, you put their health in the negatives.

And finally, why do they get to use more moves (second round / last round)? lmao

but yea, learn some better programming practices such as loops, arrays, etc.
jinjin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:26 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Grade 10 FP / ISU : Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

apomb @ Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:29 am wrote:
no problem, well, it seems like there are lots of repeated Pic.draw statements that could be integrated into loops instead of just one after another, if you see the same chunk of code more than twice in a row, you know you can be utilizing a loop structure.

as for where it stopped, this is the line it stopped at:
code:
line274: Pic.Draw (scale, 0, 0, picUnderMerge)

Ok, now I see what you mean by using the loops to my advantage. This is definitely a good suggestion that will make my program more efficient. However, I still cannot figure out why the program stops at line 274. I've tested it on my computer and on a few of my school computers and it works fine so I really have no clue.

SNIPERDUDE wrote:

Everything worked fine for me, I just got some noobish problems (small coding mistakes).

For ex: instead of telling people to make their resolution whatever it said and setting the screen to max, just set the screen size to whatever the resolution you wanted it to be, not max.

Thanks SNIPERDUDE, that's a good idea. I actually didn't know that you could set resolution manually.

SNIPERDUDE wrote:

Another thing I noticed was when you kill your opponant, you put their health in the negatives.

Ok, that shouldn't be too much of a probem to fix. I can reassign the health if it goes into negatives.

SNIPERDUDE wrote:

And finally, why do they get to use more moves (second round / last round)? lmao

but yea, learn some better programming practices such as loops, arrays, etc.

Oh, the AI is purposefully very cheap in its moveset.

Thanks for the comments. I will try to improve my programming methods.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:26 am   Post subject: RE:Grade 10 FP / ISU : Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

no problem, just keep on working on your coding techniques.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: