Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I say we start a stats program like slashdot...
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
templest

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:06 pm   Post subject: I say we start a stats program like slashdot...

Where we can mod eachother's posts funny, insighful, informative, interesting, offtopic, flamebait, troll, ect.

That would be teh r0x0rz. Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

eh? whats slashdot, and wouldn't that give everyone mod powers over the spam section and therefore be alot of trouble for the admins?
Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Do you live in a hole? Laughing
http://slashdot.org
templest

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No, you just give stats to posts, you don't edit, or delete them. It just get's taged with something like: "+5 Funny" (think of it as bits), or "+2 Insightful",
and depending on how many mods of what kind and what level, is how it affects your karma. Wink
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh, an ranking system for posts. That may bee a good idea for the sorce code submision fourm as well as the spam one.

Will look in to it when doing the v3 update.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
templest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

see, aren't I just a budle of good ideas? Smile
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't think it would be very good in the spam forum. I just don't see any point to it here in spam. ppl wil look at the threads regardless of what kinda ranking its got Confused

in source code and submissions it is a very good idea though.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

eh? I still don't get it? you rate the posts so ppl will look or not? The only places where I don't read all the posts are in the turing help section, where some ppl ask others to do their homework. Plus it is recently being flooded by end of the year project help and stuff.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
templest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's supposed to be a "fun" thing. You know, polite and charming people, such as I Wink, get good karma, others get shitty karma, ect. Which would be shown under your username or avatar or something.

It could also be used as a form of ranking system that goes a bit more detailed than the current post count system, and It'll rank people regardless of weather they post in the spam channel or not.

Like, in order to have "Excellent Karma", you'd have to do more than just post a crap load of messages. Smile

If you get a lot of "-5 Troll" or "+3 Insightful", It'll affect your karma accordingly, the "+" and "-" wich modify your karma rating. Depending on how much karma you have, is how your karma is doing. ie: good, bad, shitty, great.

You should also make it so that each user can mod a post only once, and that user must have a minimum of let's say 20 - 30 posts so that people don't just create random accounts to bomb one's karma rating.

EDIT: Another neat idea working on the same principle would be to have an option to rank them on what it is they're posting, aside from karma, as in "+3 Programming" & "-2 Web Design", and in turn show those stats in each user's profile. Smile These to be handed out by mods and such.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

while i liked the idea b/c it whould make some sections alot easer to look throw and mod. Like if a post has an extreamly low socrce it should probly be removed and if it is a high scorce and is allways active may be it should be a sticky.

Also it whould alow for sorting topics based on rank witch whould be nice when just looking throw the sections.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
templest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

there are many uses for it, yes.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: