Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Games and Programming Languages
Index -> General Programming
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:01 pm   Post subject: Games and Programming Languages

I thought that this was the best place to put this, because it had to do with programming, but if it is the wrong place, then move it.

I want to know what programming languages are used for different games and on consoles:

For really knew 3D games like Call of Duty and Doom 3:

Playstation 1/2, N64/GameCube, XBOX:

Sega Saturn (I heard it was C but that C didn't utilize the full power of the Sega Saturn)

Genesis/SNES/NES/Turbo Graphics:

Im thinking that C or C++ was used for the older systems, but I'm curious to the newer ones.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Often a back-end written in C or C++, with Python, Lua or some other comparatively lightweight "glue" language for the logic of the game.
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

by backend do you mean the main part of the engine, like rendering models and stuff or whatever it does?

thats pretty cool, because i thought they used custom languages or didn't even use a language for newer games!
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well they use Lisp variants for developing AI of the game.

There are so many of them heh.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

jonos wrote:
by backend do you mean the main part of the engine, like rendering models and stuff or whatever it does?

Yeah... like the "how to render a character on the screen doing some particular action" stuff.

Then you use Python, Lua, Tcl, or something else to do the "if character X is in Position Y, have character Z do something" stuff.

Quote:
thats pretty cool, because i thought they used custom languages or didn't even use a language for newer games!

They sometimes do use custom languages, but there's ever more drive to use popular general purpose programming languages of the lightweight variety, since it means having the ability to draw on an existing talent pool, and lowered training costs.

The fact that many are open source languages means that game companies also benefit from the work of huge communities to improve performance and libraries.
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

and its easy to mod also?

so if i say that call of duty, halflife, mohaa, battelfield are all made with a combonation of open-source languages, then i would be right?
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

makes modding easy, no doubt.

i think its a good idea to integrate an intepreted language (scripting language) into most of your complex programs, thus reducing the complexity drastically.

the problem is that it is not easy.

In Java it's a piece of cake. but c/c++... hmm no. I guess i should write some tutorials on howto do this in java. Thinking
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

jonos wrote:
and its easy to mod also?

The potential is there for them to be, but it would require more detailed knowledge of the systems themselves to answer that. Keep in mind that a simple language does not necessarily mean a simple library of code. Smile

Objective-C is dead simple to learn, but learning to use the Cocoa framework is a daunting task. Much like C and the Windows API.

Quote:
so if i say that call of duty, halflife, mohaa, battelfield are all made with a combonation of open-source languages, then i would be right?

Again, I'm really not familiar enough to answer either way.

One place I do know they use Python extensivey is Industrial Lights and Magic.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jonos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well thats george lucas' company (i think). i know that blitz basic was used for unreal tourny, and the next one was then ported to a different language (im pretty sure). this stuff is interesting, cause we have the tools to make some awesome stuff, we just have to learn it.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

r u sure.. cuz unreal tournament is available for mac.. i dun think blitzbasic is available for mac.
jonos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ive heard that a lot, it may have been ported or something, but i think that .exe can still work, but im not sure because ive only used a mac for 10 mins at school.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

believe me NO. exe's don't work. i have a mac.. use it 24/7.

it could be that they invented a new language.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

It's also possible they prototyped UT in Blitz BASIC, then implemented it in something else for the final version.
shorthair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

we had this convo before , it was originally developedin litz but , epic games took over i think it was them , and they rewrote most of it off that basis ,the original was jsut a couple of guys trying to make a game , they sold out for a chunk of change

BUT BACK TO THE TOPIC

You will find tat lots of games use their own uniqu languages , the basis and AI may e in a common language , but most have hteir own engines , thre is a doom engine , quake engine , unreal engine , and some companys pay to use andother companys engine ( perfectly legal )
jonos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

isn't the doom engine and the quake engine in c though?
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 28 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: