Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Graphics Cards
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
josh

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:02 am   Post subject: Graphics Cards

I am looking to get a new graphics card for my PC but I am having some trouble deciding on whic one. I am either going to get the Radeon 9800pro 128MB version, or a lower model with the 256MB. Which one is better?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
poly

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well right now the r9800pro is a very good card. But if you don't have the budget for it than going to a lower model would be ideal. Do you want a card that will be able to play the new releases for sometime? If so I'd say don't go ANY lower than the 9700pro. Also check out NVidia's latest cards, my friend has one and he says he likes it a lot. (don't know too much on nvidia cards so i couldnt recommend one)
josh

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well I was probobly gouing to get the 9800 pro and I would like a card that will be able to play new games with good graphics for a fairly long time. The game I have right now that i want it msot for is Unreal Tournament 2004 but I also plan on getting Half Life 2 adn otehr games that are graphics intensive.

I am niot really interested in getting an Nvidea card because every review I have read says that ATI's cards are better.
Blade

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i wouldn't really say that ATI's cards are better. they have more potential but the drivers arent really all that good for them. But that was a while ago, before NVIDIA released its geforce FX series. its more user preference than anything else.

but to answer your question, the extra memory will benefit you a bit, because the 256mb cards (at least with the radeon 9800pro) have different memory technology that allows an extra 20mhz over the 128mb. its about 680 mb/s more than the other card. other than that it will also be a bit faster because of the doubled memory size, so it wont have to spend extra time cleaning as often. but to compare you would have to tell me which lower model you are looking at buying. probably the 9700pro?

radeon 9800pro vs msi geforce fx 5950 (256mb on each)
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
as you can see, the geforce fx 5950 ultra is much faster in all of the specs than the radeon 9800pro
- core clock is 20mhz faster making 8 Mtexels/s difference
- ramspeed is 250 mhz faster making an 8 gb/s difference

this is a very good article that compares the cards as they are now. it features 3 different recent nvidia cards, vs 3 recent ati cards. you should definatly read this if you want to make the proper choice. it has benchmarks from games such as halo, unreal tournament 2003, aquanox etc. ... the radeon 9800pro is beaten by the geforce fx 5950 in a lot of them, and the radeon 9800xt is right up there with the 5950... you should consiter one of those cards other than the 9800pro (if your budget can handle it)
http://www.hothardware.com/printarticle.cfm?articleid=438

but theres also another new nvidia card out called the geforce 6800 ultra.. i havent read much about it yet, but i'm betting that it will definatly beat the 9800xt (i havent heard about any newer card than the 9800xt, but i'm betting there is, and if there isnt, there will be soon)
roer

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The 128MB overclocks better, but the 256MB allows for higher resoloutions and higher AA/AF. I have a 9800 Non-Pro and its really an amazing card, go with a 9600PRO if you dont want to spend $350
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: