Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 router's heat problem
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
gamer

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:20 pm   Post subject: router's heat problem

hi its summer time now n u see my router is placed near a window (no other appropriate choices available) n that room is quite warm...so wut can i do if the router start to warm/heat up?? like wut method can i cool it down without moving the router?
btw samething applies to the cable modem too
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The router is going to heat up no matter what. If you want, you could try to direct a fan at it. Or if you meant heat from the sunlight entering through the window, just cover the router with something.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What i do with my equment is use lots of house fans alined i such a way that the cycel the air around the room and over the things u need to cool down.

Also you could try proping it up on some books so the air can get at the botom of it as well.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
the_short1

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea.... dont cover with a sheet tho... that would burn out ur modem and router REALLY FAST... no room to breathe....

hmmm....... is their more then one window... maybe u can cover the one window with a sheet or blinds...

or.... u can build a wooden cover... like a upsidedown U shape but without a backing... and much bigger then the router / modem so theirs room to breath...
that mite work... cuz then the sun can BEAM rite on it...

what kind of router ??? also how heavy is it aprox??? cuz i got a linksys 4prt wireles... and its only point> .45 KG (from manual) ... its soo dam lite (are they all that lite **why i ask urr weight) .. and i dont think it gets warm at all....
Tony

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I keep my DSL modem on bottle caps so that there will be air under it. It solved mine overheating problem.

I'd also sujest shutting the thing down once in a while when not in use. Such as overnight to let the circuits cool down.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
gamer

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my window alredi has blinds on it so theres no direct sunlight beam to the router nor modem, the heat might jsut be the humidity or wutever, i dun reli kno

i hav thought of using fan, but, is there other ways of cooling it down? cuz u see, fans that i have that are appropriate size for router/modem ar all battery operated, meaning it'll be quite stupid to waste batteries like that....i do hav fans operated from outlet, but they ar just way too big for router/modem

so is there other ways??
Tony

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you could buy a cooling fan from some computer store (under $5) and plug into your motherboard/power supply and use the fan to cool down the router/modem. You just got to make sure that the wire is long enough to keep the fan external.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
gamer

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol its a wireless router, not reli close to any computer
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well if it's wireless, can't you move it to the basement where it's nice and cool? Laughing Just move it around and find a place where it gets enough circulation of cool air Wink
the_short1

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

here i though it wasn;t wiereless...

are all router generally under 1KG or is it just mine... thats strange to me...

ok... u dont want to waste bateries eh!!!

GET THIS!!!
know those FAT plug in transformers that u get with electronics some times... well.. find one that u dont need that is DC 9v OUT... then voilda... u got a 9v batery... just dont cross wiere or u blow a fuse in house..

i used that for some LED thingy that i made.... works great...

so get a small fan that is DC then just hook up with one of those power adapter thingies...

hope that helps u all....

COMMON ... an external wire from ur MB... thats crazy..... just a little dontcha think???

yea... u say its wireless.... then just move the thing.... the only restrictions i can think of is a cable outlet.... and power outlet...
but that is why COAXIAL cable is cheap and why we have extension cords...
gamer

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well my router is quite screw up so the range is quite a problem if i move too far it'll be ultra slow n stuff, so yea i cant move it, guess i'll go with fan or sumthin

if people has other idea plzz post
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Would over heating for a router cause massive disconecting to the internet?
Well my internet keeps d/c every day like.. 5 times in a row or more.. why i have no clue.. im using a linksys router, never used to give problems before.. and it happnes to all the computers that are conencted to it.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:
Would over heating for a router cause massive disconecting to the internet?

no, it just blows up Twisted Evil

hehe, yes, it does quit working. When my DSL modem overheats, it quits working for an hour or so untill it cools down considerably. I would turn it over and put a dump cloth on top to absorb the excess heat...
gamer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so we must cool it down then
Blade

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

why not just use a normal house fan?? like one with a stand, and moves back and forth to circulate the air, or you can fix it into one position.. prop the router up like what was said above, on eracers or something then put the fan infront of it and it will blow the air away from the top and the bottom of the router.

its the same idea with the heatsink
fan blows the warm air between the fins out, and replaces with cooler air from above..
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: