Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Font
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Jeefer

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:17 pm   Post subject: Font

If any one would be able to tell me how to change the font in the console window, without using applets, it would be greatly appreciated...
-Jeefer
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I do not blive there is, ushely the conosle just has plan text in it with no graficks. (thats what a conosle is). Alougth there may be some crazy libbrays or APIs out there that may do it.

It whould be easer and better i think to do your progame with some GUI like awt or swing then try to mess with the consloe.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
communismisntdead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, there is an easy way to change the font in the Console - 5 lines:

-----

String num = "hello."
Font font1 = new Font ("Verdana", Font.BOLD, 12);
c.setFont (font1);

c.drawString (num, 25, 25);
c.setFont (null);

-------

Change Verdana with whatever font you want, and you can change the Font.BOLD to Font.ITALIC or Font.REGULAR or you can add more than one effect together by placing a '+' between then. 12 is the size.

Draw string must be used so you'll have to use x and y pixel coordinates instead of text rows and columns...
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I was talking about REAL JAVA, what you are using (i think) is ready to progame witch is a form of java but it is not comabltale with the real java or even M$ java. Ready to progame is a tool for teaching java includeds APIs that do not existsed in prue java.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Why aren't schools making them learn pure java using SUN java runtime and JBuilder or w/e?
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well my thereoy that it is due to it being free.

I know it sounds crazy, but think about it, u of t (holth) makes both turing and ready to progame. There is money in crapy progames for schools, in fact there even seems to be an indutry evoling around it. But why if there are better free stuff? While the awser is that the poleop who deside what linces to buy are not progamers, progaming teachers or netwrok admins for schools, they are some poleop in a borad room who may have been eng teachers at some time. Now if u look at it from there persitive what they are paying for it not the langue or the progame but poleop to do things for them that requize some level of integant thougt.

For example if they whonted to use pure java, they whould have to; 1. go to the java site, 2. download the right verson of the java sdk, 3. download the right verson of the java doc, 4. install java, 5. install the java doc, 6. find an editor for it that is free, 7. go to that site, 8. download it, 9. install it, 10. tell it where the java compiler is, 11. tell it where the java doc is. 12. repeate for every comp. Now with ready to progame they mail them the cd they put it in the comp and intall and it is ready to go. So you can see that from the borad stand point it is much easrer to get poleop to do things for them and just throw money at it then think out what is best for the students. Plus with thess verson they get books writen just for them that tell teachers what to do and even have the asments in them to give them. Now good compsci teacher dont need this b/c they know what they are doing but it maks it so the borad dose not need quified teachers to teach compsci and just need any random teacher that can read.

This dose not just apply to progaming langues ether, other progames the schools uses also flow this. Such as lanschool, it is prooly made yet they uses it any way just b/c it is markted to schools. Also markbook (the progam they uses for reportcards) is porly made and almost looks like it was made in turing by some one who dose not know how to uses the GUI comands right.

So i summery if u are bad at progaming yet whont to make money at it, seel some random project to schools. Even if it sucks and there are better free ones the school is still buy if u sell it to them and promose them that you will do all the thinking for them.
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

in that case u should suggest ur teachers to make the class do as he says.. and thus get the java sdk ready and running.. of course this is a problem if ur comps are on deep freeze like our school
communismisntdead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well in any case, that's what some people have available to them, so why not help them. We won't get anywhere insulting each other's 'java's'...

Whether you like it or not, there is a market segment using Holtsoft Java with HSA Console and the whole bit, and those people need help... If he was using holtsoft, what I posted may have helped. If not, ask HackerDan he knows what hes doing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thats just it tho, he did not say he was using the HSA, and there is no marksegment using HSA other then schools in ONT. My rant was about schools using it in the 1st place, we will help poleop who uses it, but it is harder to do so when u do not uses standered libs.

You should have side in your post that it will only work in HSA, b/c it just confuses poleop trying to lrean real java.

I am a bit supresied that holt got away with making it too, sun (the poleop who made java) sued M$ for making a verson like that.
communismisntdead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Therefore schools in Ontario are a market segment...
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: