Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Is Windows a virus?
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Andy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[mod:31b4208513]get off your butts and get lindows ppl[/mod:31b4208513]
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:
also... i would be unable to posible install all my HD...

If you can't install a hard drive with Linux, maybe you should just step away from your computer, because it's insanely simple to do if you have half a brain and the ability to read.

jonos wrote:
If more things were made for Linux then it would be more widely used.

http://www.linux.org/apps/index.html
I dare you to not find something you need.

When I installed Mandrake Linux, I wondered why it came on 3 CDs while Windows came with one. Here's why: Microsoft sells you an insanely expensive operating system. That's about it. Linux offers you a free operating system, and in the case of Mandrake 10, a whole shitload of software (don't worry, you only install what you want).

dodge_tomahawk wrote:
get off your butts and get lindows ppl

Who could possibly take something as great as Linux and mix it with Windows? It's like being forced to do calculus in computer science. Actually, something you might like to know... since that old guy at Massey is retiring, Ms. Zeiba will be filling in as the enriched calculus teacher next year. Have fun.
jonos

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I should have phrazed it differently... I meant stuff like games and programs that are needed for school.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well linux is great but i am having a hell of a time geting it on my newish laptop.

it has some new stuff in it that there are no liunx dirvers for yet, when i put the install cd in and try to install stuff it dose not even boot to the instaler.

oh well, the last time i tryed was like 1 week after i got it so may be some poleop are working and making thous drivers.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

whooopz.....

the_short1 wrote:
also... i would be unable to posible install all my HD...

i meant hardware instead of HD... of course installing Hd is simple..,.

ive heard some ppl complain that they cant use linux or w/e cuz their hardware didn't work...
templest

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

heh, what's curious is that it all makes sense. Windows actualy seems more like a virus every new release.

I for one, am awaiting with anticipation the arrival of my new PowerBook G4, With 17'' Monitor, and... *sexy* OS X.

Can't you tell? *points out his avatar & sig*

EDIT: Drivers can be a whore, specially Vid & Sound cards. And then some secondary stuff like MP3 Players, or Digi'Cams. But most of your basic system should run just fine. Isn't the new 2.6.x kernel out now? With supposed support for newer hardware? 2.4.x is pretty outdated. Confused
jonos

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You know, I've been thinking about switching to Mac lately, but I have never really used it so I don't know what it is like.
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the one time taht i used mac was in the lobby for Science North they had some comps and i wanted to check email..... OMG it was messed..... i hate the mice... BADLY.... keyboard was way too weird...... i would not use it.... i would consider linux tho... but NOT mac..... plus lots of games that i have seen are not MAC compatiple... also oither kinds of software too...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jonos

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd still keep a PC with Windows on it though. And another one for Linux. I'd like to have 3 computers one day: one for Windows and common programs and games, one for Linux and screwing around, and one for Mac shiz.
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

good ideas jonos..... may i ask.... WHY IS UR SIG ALL * ?? also.... why u change from iframes one?

yea... well i wish windows update driver search acually worked worth a SHIT... it has NEVER found a single thing for me of all the hardware ive ever searched... but that is why their is driverguide.com <<they didn;t have my latest driver that i looked for but have had others that i needed.... but they had a link to company download page... so i found one..... errr... windows 98 need more drivers **when u press sarch obnline DB as well... as Hd
jonos

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Drives are confusing. That's why I don't really worry about them. My friend just gets them and then passes me on to them.

My signature is a whole line of fscks.
templest

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You would be surprised as to how well a Mac can emulate an x86, in turn:Windows, and run all of it's applications. Virtual PC is your friend in that case. You can run any game just as fine with it.

And the keyboard layout | Mouse is different, so is the operating system and architecture. You'd think it'd be hard to get used to after using a regular PC for so long, eh?

There's a newly released PPC emulator that let's you install Mac OS X on it for Windows, if you want to give it a go. Note it's pre-BETA, and first released about a week ago. It's slow as hell, but it'll let you fiddle with the environment and get a sort of hint as to what the actual Mac is like. I wouldn't dissmiss one so quickly.

Ohh, and you can buy any USB mouse and use it in Mac (with all the buttons enabled), if you don't like the single-clicker mouse. I personally like it, it's damned sexy. And the OS looks a crap load more sexy and feels more sexy to use. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

OS X is BSD based anyways, so you can run all your Linux apps natively on a Mac if you want. You probably ran an OS 8 or OS 9 system, in which case, yeah, OS X has come a long way.

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/ <- Incase you want to try the emulator out.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:
the one time taht i used mac was in the lobby for Science North they had some comps and i wanted to check email..... OMG it was messed..... i hate the mice... BADLY.... keyboard was way too weird...... i would not use it.... i would consider linux tho... but NOT mac..... plus lots of games that i have seen are not MAC compatiple... also oither kinds of software too...

look i've used a mac and i'm still using it. as a matter of fact almost all the time. (the only time i dunt use a mac is when i need to play games heh. Also i own a cube (*classic* heh), nywyz my point is its an old mac 450mhz, so if i really need the speed then i switch to my 2ghz pc to do what ever i need to do)

and a mac can be a lot more productive os than windows.. cuz the apps if not many are a 1000x better than those u will find for windows.

the only way u'll ever know how good a mac really is, is by actually buying one and trying it out.
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont have the money nor would i want to spend money buying a computer that i couln't use very well.........

fact is..... ok they have their charms for some.... i think ill stick to windows 98..... and when i get a good new comp... im making it run windows 98 NOT xp.... because ive used xp... and each time i though it sucked ROYALY.... u cant do thngs manually enough... and alll those dam anoying pop up windows and crap.... ! ill stick to 98... plus 98 is faster .... without all that CRAP ..... and wehre would comps be without being able to play DOS GAMEs...!!!! they ROCK!
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh for sure. And you gotta love that BSOD.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 43 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: