Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 L337's LOTR BATTLEFIELD SIMULATOR
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Palindine

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:06 am   Post subject: L337's LOTR BATTLEFIELD SIMULATOR

yet another L337 Team production. This years Algonquin College SAT Programming Olympics submission. The AI in this program was quite difficult to program, but when i think of the possibilities it creates for future games it makes the work worth while.

The problem this year was to create a basic LOTR simulator, based on the one used in the third movie. The problems that were presented to us when we made this was that it was to be able to detect problems in the data file as well as not walk over certain terrian/players.

please note the credits in the readme documentation. I thank Hacker Dan & the dTeam for the sprite module, and esp Tempest for the basis of our installer

ANY FEEDBACK IS WELCOME.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT THE FINIAL PRODUCT. WE ARE CURRENTLY WORKING ON UPDATING THE GUI.

EDIT: zip file was removed to allow me to post my upcomming projects, if interested pm me your email and i will send it to you.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
greenapplesodaex

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:49 am   Post subject: reply

is this the lEE7 that plays cs on newbies 24/7 bloodbath server? (wait... or is it the superheros server?)
Hey! it doesnt run! (I have chinese XP)
Paul

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Are the movements random? and are the outcomes of the individual battles random? Cause it was pretty hard at the end to get a battle going on with 3 on each side. And that really sux cause I can't close the game without going to task manager.
Delos

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm...interesting.

I noticed that initially all units move rather slowly...then as the number of units decreased their respective speeds increased.
I'm guessing you have a loop that looks at each piece indivdually and calculates/randomizes their next move. Though it is a bit interesting to see the units getting more and more 'frantic' as more of their comrades are killed, it would be cool if you could standardize their speed. I would expect that some FPS manipulation would fix it all.

As PB said, exits are needed...task manager is not the nicest way to shut down the programme. Did I just say that? Ok, it is the nicest way, well most pleasing way, but a built in function would be nice.

And how about the ability to skip the intro/extro.

And manual movement of pieces?
And interactive battles? Razz
Dan

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I like the installer, lol.

I dont realy get what is going on with the chars but it looks cool. u may whont to give then units (thats waht i think they are) some better ai so u do not have to w8 for ever for them to find some one to fight.

Very nice layout there.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Palindine

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

@ greenapplesodaex - what exactly was your problem, and no we have nothing to do with CS, although we do play it from time to time.

@ Paul Bian - yes the movement is completely random, and so is the outcome of the battles. and i'm sry about the inability to close it during the simulation, but it's the way THEY want it, it will be part of the next version though.

@ Delos - i'm not sure why is does increase it's speed but there is a delay of 50.

@ Hacker Dan - I know what you mean, however i'm not sure how i would go about doing it. it was hard enough making the AI that is already there
Delos

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

@ Paladine

The increase is quite simple. Well...

I'm going to do a lot of guessing here. Well...more like educated guesses. So, just bear with me...and if I'm waay off, then tell me.

Lets say you have 50 units. Each unit has to be kept track of. So...you use an array of 'unit' type. This type has all sorts of good stuff to track each unit.
For each move, every unit does something. So, for each loop, you'd have a for loop from 1 to [maxUnits] that would look at each unit and do stuff w/ it. Say, move it randomly. Or check for a battle and randomize the attacking. Or check for collision w/ a mountain...etc etc etc.
For 50 units, the loop spends that much time checking each and every unit for their statuses. As the number of units decreases, the loop has fewer and fewer instances to check. Thus, the loop itself goes quicker (due to less CPU usage). The delay(50) [which should really be changed to a Time.Delay() due to reliability purposes] only does so much. Sure in comparission to the time it takes for one loop to be done, delay(50) is a huge number, but w/ 50 units running around, there is definitely going to be some change in the time length of each loop.

So that's why it speeds up.
Palindine

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

@ dalos - theres only one problem with that one at the moment, the rules stated that only one player per team could move at a time. and the delay i use is a Time.Delay
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Delos

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

@ Palindine (my apologies on the incorrect spelling the last time...)

I'm not sure how that would affect anything at all. All units/players are checked in the same loop correct? If so, the fewer there are to check, the quicker the loop may come to completion.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: