Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 The Mandelbrot set
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
kshorting

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:12 pm   Post subject: The Mandelbrot set

I have been searching through the web trying to find explanations of how Fractals are generated. All of the explanations seemed to leave something out and the sample programs also seemed lacking something. Finally, I found a Basic program for the Mandelbrot set on the web site http://library.thinkquest.org/.

I am much obliged to the people responsible for that site.

The program contained a logical error, but it was not the hard to fix once I played around with it after rewriting the program using Turing.

The program is attached. The code is amazingly simple considering the beautiful image it creates. I fail to see how the program code reflects the concepts of fractals, but that's just me. Smile

Have fun.

The Mandelbrot set.t
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  The Mandelbrot set.t
 Filesize:  454 Bytes
 Downloaded:  295 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:37 pm   Post subject: Re: The Mandelbrot set

I did this too (get the program from the second post).

I got my algorithm from Wikipedia.
PaulButler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:58 pm   Post subject: RE:The Mandelbrot set

I did a mandelbrot program as well. If you like fractals, check out this method of smoothly shading them: http://linas.org/art-gallery/escape/smooth.html

Even though the theory of it is kinda complicated, it is easy to apply to your program. The best part is that it doesn't require much to be rewritten, you only have to change a couple lines. If you prefer integral fractals, I have another algorithm that can speed things up if you are interested.

Fractals rule Smile
kshorting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:43 pm   Post subject: Re: The Mandelbrot set

Thanks. I took a quick look at the link. I'll take another look later on when I am up to taking it all in.

What is an integral fractal?
PaulButler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:46 am   Post subject: RE:The Mandelbrot set

Oops, I meant to say integer, but I am still not sure if that is the best word for it. I mean fractals where each different color represents a different whole number between 1 and your cutoff, rather than a smooth gradual decimal number. Most fractal generators, including yours, do it the first way, but if you want to take it further you could try a smoothing method.
kshorting

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:40 pm   Post subject: Re: The Mandelbrot set

Paul,

I just looked at the site you referred to now. I guess I got busy Smile You posted your reply 4 months ago!

I hope to implement this technique in my programs after I understand how the algorithm works. Shocked

KS
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: