Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Downloading High Definition TV Shows
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What is the most you would be willing to pay for high definition TV shows (per episode)?
(No ending time set)
$10+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$6 - $10
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$4 - $6
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$2 - $4
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
$1.99 seems fair.
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
$0.99 works for songs, so why not TV?
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Under $0.99.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
BitTorrent's FREE thank you very much.
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
Not interested in downloading TV episodes.
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:55 am   Post subject: Downloading High Definition TV Shows

Apple recently added 11 more TV shows that can be downloaded through iTunes for $1.99 a piece. These shows support an amazingly crisp 320x240 resolution (sarcasm, by the way). Hell, I wouldn't even download things off of Bittorrent with that resolution.

Now, that's not to say that I'm opposed to buying TV episodes, but rather that my choice seems to be pay for junk or get high quality stuff for free (I buy the occasional DVD boxed set when it's around, though).

So my question: what is the most you'd be willing to pay on a regular basis to download high definition, DRM free TV shows onto your computer?

Cuss and discuss.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

martin i think those videos are for the ipod video, in which case 320 by 240 would be perfectly acceptable
codemage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think Time-WB said that they'd be releasing (for free) a whole bunch of vintage stuff in low resolutions for pod and phone players.

There'd be a few minutes of advertisements per 1/2 hour (about half that of normal TV) - which is where they'd get their revenue back.

Fortunately for the computer elite... we've figured out how to use the fast-forward button. :/
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There's a level of convinience here. You can't download bitTorrent videos onto iPod.. can you? Confused

Now if I can download (at crazy fast rates) HDTV quality episodes onto my computer (and have them end up on the HDTV).. commercial free, then $1.99 per episode seems pretty fair. Actually I think some digital cable network is considering droping commercials for some cash payments.

How would you expect them to keep the downloads DRM free though? From download straight to bitTorrent. No ripping required Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:
Fortunately for the computer elite... we've figured out how to use the fast-forward button. :/

We might need to start developing more sophisticated (or rather raw access decoder) players soon..

You know how when you play DVDs, they lock out your controls while they scroll through that "FBI Warning" screen for 30 painful seconds, and not let you menu/title/forward.

There's so much product placement in movies as it is, that additional commercials will simply be redundant, and perhaps even less effective than product placements in the movie itself. Ether way, it would be unbelievably bad to have commercials spliced into DVDs Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well the most i whould whont to pay for a season on dvds whould be $20~$25 so if you get ride of the case and the dvds maybe $10~$15 per season. So if most seasons have 12 to 15 eps i whould say about $0.83 per ep.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
martin i think those videos are for the ipod video, in which case 320 by 240 would be perfectly acceptable

The point being that a larger video can easily be scaled down.

Speaking of which... played with the video iPod yesterday - it's sweet. And yes you can put other videos on it. The store had a ripped copy of Oceans 12. Go Japan.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: