Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 DragonSpires - Graphical RPG
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
DanShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:20 am   Post subject: DragonSpires - Graphical RPG

This is overall one of my favourite projects ive done. It is basically an attempt at a recreation of a game that myself and many others used to LOVE! The game was DragonSpires, first created by DragonsEye productions, then by Amaloy productions, then by Darryl productions by the name Dark Legacy. Now theyre all gone, so I recreated as much as I could, before I noticed that Turing is way too lagged to run too much graphics and information...so I just stopped. Its a pretty interesting program, check it out.

DragonSpires.rar
 Description:
DragonSpires - DanShadow

Download
 Filename:  DragonSpires.rar
 Filesize:  879.59 KB
 Downloaded:  513 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Delos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

This is good.

I'm glad that sprite havn't totally died yet.

A couple of bugs (features) though...
- check your collision detection w.r.t. your background (map). Often I'll walk into a tree and keep walking through it.
- check the movement. Sometimes (I think when changing maps), if I was moving up when I entered, I keep moving even if the key is not pressed.

Otherwise it's looking really good. The whole angled movement is a tad confusing at first, but one gets used to it quite quickly.
Delta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

^o) .... what the hell is that... don't mean to be rude or flame... but ya... it's not even an rpg ^o)... no monsters, no leveling up, no items, no weapons, no nothing... unless it's just me and somehow I missed all of this... but ya... the graphics are nice... stolen/borrowed... but nice... and yes I know I haven't done an rpg yet so I shouldn't be saying anything... but don't worry... planning is in progress with my local dev team and we have been getting together planning quite often... so expect something kewl in the form of an rpg... everything completely made by us... cept maybe sounds... depends... but ya...

you map files are huge! you should use something like

where 1's are walls and 0's are grass... a,b,c's can all have different tiles and what not... so ya... it's still a pretty nice job... I don't see how it can run so slow... because you have such a small amount of space actually animating (moving whatnot)... but ya... collisions are messed in a couple places (trees sometimes... some roads you can't pass on... even though there are no spikes blocking them...)
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Dude, he said he stopped, that might be why there aren't any of those things. Plus it is an RPG cause you're in the role of a character in the game and walking around.

It looks great, although I didn't get to experience it fully with my slow computer, I press a key and the guy moves exactly 5 seconds later. I thought the tiles with the architechture and the environment looked and fitted together great. Did you make them? Anyway, if this game was finished, I'm sure it'd be great, although I'll need a computer 5 times faster than mine to play, good job.
DanShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks. Well, these graphics were actually taken directly from the game I used to play. And the game is 1700 lines long, and very complex because of the aspect I did it in. I made a new game with all my graphics, using my layout which has fixed all the above bugs you guys mentioned. (I knew about all of those.) Ill post it soon, its called "Dark Realm". (Another game I stopped working on, because it got too slow, lol.) Thanks for the feedback.
DanShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

VB is better in ways then Turing, so I recreated it completely multiplayer, and added a bunch of shit in VB. Here is the link:
http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=5872
Enjoy!!!
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I like it Very Happy

Sorry it took so long for me to comment...I haven't been around the turing section much lately.

It does need some hardcore optimization. I know it's turing, but I sense some wasted resources here.

Good work though. Have some bits.

EDIT: Nevermind the bits. Wink
DanShadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

heh, lol. tx (ive made much better projects, but i quit turing, i just teach it now. im on to java.)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zomg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

nice work man this things sweet would u care to accept some of my tax deductable bits lol
DanShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, tx anyway. (My bits are static as 1000 Smile ) Thanks for the input
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: