Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What is the best OS?
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What is the best OS?
(No ending time set)
OS/2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OS 10
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
SunOS
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Win NT
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Win XP
42%
 42%  [ 45 ]
Win 95-98
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
Win 3.1
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
DOS
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Linux
23%
 23%  [ 25 ]
FreeBSD
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Unix
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
BeOS
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
AmigaOS
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
OS X
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
Win ME
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
NetBSD
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NetWare
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OpenBSD
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ULTRIX
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 107

Andy

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

y is linspire not on there?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

becuse there is a maxum number of poll options you can have in a poll, i tryed to put on like 100 OS from the starting of computing to now but it whould not fit so some lesser knowe ones got left out.

Thats why there is an other option Wink
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
zomg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

windows me is the best...

everyone i kno says it sucks but have they ever used it? NO

i am an advanced computer user and like to tweak and mess around with settings and i have never had WinMe crash or anything, i have another computer with xp and its crashing all over the place (i have tried formating and reinstalling)

XP looks good but thats all its got gong for it
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hahahaha!

Windows ME is terrible guy. I unfortunately had to use it for a while, because my computer was too slow for Windows XP, and I couldn't find any drivers for my sound (but ME auto-detected them for me).

First off, the mouse smoothing in ME is a nice feature. Okay, there's my list of nice things about it.

Now: on to the not so nice:
First off, memory leaks are a huge problem, even moreso than 98. Basically, this means that it doesn't free up memory when it's not being used! So, after a while, your computer locks up and you are forced to restart.

Uptime for a Windows ME box is rarely more than 2 consecutive days.

Windows ME hardware incompatabilities are terrible, and random crashes due to software incompatabilites are more than common.

And finally, it's slow! Sure, Windows XP's stupid themes suck up resources like a leech, but if those are all turned off, XP is actually a faster OS.

In any case, I hate Windows. Get Linux.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shadow master wrote:
windows me is the best...

everyone i kno says it sucks but have they ever used it? NO

i am an advanced computer user and like to tweak and mess around with settings and i have never had WinMe crash or anything, i have another computer with xp and its crashing all over the place (i have tried formating and reinstalling)

XP looks good but thats all its got gong for it

ROFL, i realy hope you are joking. And if you tweaking any M$ OS is not for you, i mean you can not even see the code never mind chage it. ME is know for a fact to be one of the most unstable windows versons mostly due to that fact that it was ment soley as a money grab by M$ to get them throw the time form 98 to 2000. The problem is it is like a aplahp verson of 2000 that was trying to be xp, and it just whent wrong. If i where you i whould ether upgrade or downgrade windows or better yet find a better OS, suse linux is gr8 Wink
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

When WinME starts, you're counting down to the time it will force u to restart by pushing the restart button. If its on and you don't use it, I give youe around 8-12 hours, if you do use it, 2-3 hours at the most before you have to restart.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

put up linspire
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've hate WinME, and I wasn't lucky enough to get 2-3hrs of use before restarting (I once had to restart 3 times before it booted up right). The second I could I went to win2000. It heardly crashed (unlike ME crashing every time I opened IE).
I voted for Linux, even though I can't use it to well, and I don't have it install on any computers(but once I can im going to install it). But I have used it before (mainly live cd's), and it seemed alot more stable then windows and I like the look of it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge_tomahawk wrote:
put up linspire

I can not, that is the max number of poll options....
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

OS 10 == OS X Wink
the_short1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i vote 98se..
its stable... compatible with all my hardwware and software.. and .. doesnl;t take so much resources.. plus its a lot simpler to fix.. and maintain.. and isnlt anoying with so many pop-up warnins and shit..

also... memory leaking is not a problem!!!! its called rampage!!!~!!
search google for rampage free software and ull find it .. its from jfitz .. its awsome.. duuble click on tray icon and away u go... i used to get drained to zero after a few hours of opening / closing diffent programs... not anymore.. and u can make it automatically free mem if u below x ammount .. and how much to free on each dobule click.. GO RAMPAGE!!!!!! even works if u have 512 MB ram! <tested it on that much b4..

.. o.. and i have tested windows xp home, pro, winnt sp4, windows 2000,windows 95, 98
zomg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

its weird i bought my pc a week before WinMe and it came with 98se, it crashed every day when ever i did something then my dad bought WinME
and everything worked cept my scanner and i never had any problems

last night i put windows xp media centre 2005 edition on my computer, imust say its fricken wicked i'd vote for that now
betaflye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Favourite distro of GNU/Linux it's a try between Debian, Ubuntu and Gentoo.

Gentoo has portage and configuration file protection, optimizes for your processor.

Debian has apt-get and supports lots of programs in there repository.

Ubuntu uses debian sid packages and has all the programs I use as defaults so I use it as a desktop.

Favourite Win9x series operating system: Windows 98 SE.

Favourite NT series operating system: Windows XP Professional. The group policies editor allows you to customize your system, remote desktop, encrypting file system.

Favourite BSD: FreeBSD for the reason of it's the only one I've used.

I've tried Solaris 9 on X86 hardware and it was pretty cool, maybe someday I'll try 10.

OSX is just amazing. Built upon a solid BSD foundation (Darwin), ease of software install, amazing GUI. You can install portage or fink on it and have access to many open source applications. It supports all the key productivity applications (Adobe, Macromedia, MS Office) as well as most open source applications and Mac native applications. Simply beautiful.

That being said I can't choose.
white_dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i personally have to say windows xp is the easiest and by far the BEST operation system there ever was to create. u gotta be able to know how to use linux systems if u want to run programs smoothly and such but yeah windows xp is great
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Careful saying that around here. Them's fighting words.

In all honesty though, I don't mind Windows XP. It's fast and easy to use, and supports my video gaming addiction quite nicely. Also, I've found it quite stable. It doesn't offer the power user features that it really should though, which can be somewhat prohibative at times.

I prefer to work in Linux because that's what I'm most comfortable with though.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 4  [ 51 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: