Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What is Turing?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TheTuringTest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:02 am   Post subject: What is Turing?

What is Turing? Is it good for learning how to code? Is it connected in any way to Alan Turing?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:42 pm   Post subject: RE:What is Turing?

Turing is/was a language most similar to pascal, and created a great sandbox to learn to code.

It's biggest drawback when compared to similar alternatives such as python was its slower speed. That said it was very easy to get started and was taught by high schools across Ontario for some time.

Holtsoft, the company behind the software eventually went out of business. Not sure of the details, but they're no longer around. It has been carried on however through the OpenTuring project.

Some devs here have pushed it to its limits in all sorts of interesting ways, check out the Turing Submissions section.

Hope that helps

EDIT:

Jumping jetskis, 15 year stars? Time flies.
TheTuringTest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:30 am   Post subject: RE:What is Turing?

Thanks Sniperdude. Can I still use it today for learning to code?

Is Ontario in Canada? It’s funny because I found a book here in the UK for learning to code in Turing.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:55 am   Post subject: Re: RE:What is Turing?

TheTuringTest @ November 11th 2021, 8:30 am wrote:
Can I still use it today for learning to code?

Yes, can find the downloads page on this forum by clicking the [D] Turing button top of the page under the title banner.

Not sure if you'll need a VM, compatability, mode, or what have you as the software hasn't been updated in many years. The OpenTuring version might work, I haven't kept up with the state of that project.

TheTuringTest @ November 11th 2021, 8:30 am wrote:
Is Ontario in Canada? It’s funny because I found a book here in the UK for learning to code in Turing.

Yup, Ontario is a mainland (no ocean access) province in Canada, next to Quebec. It's cool a Turing book found its way there, though I suppose many move away after done schooling. I moved cross-country myself.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:47 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:What is Turing?

TheTuringTest @ Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:30 pm wrote:
Can I still use it today for learning to code?

You can.

There are lots of other ways to learn programming with (significantly) more active communities, though.
TheTuringTest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:43 am   Post subject: RE:What is Turing?

Thanks everyone! I downloaded Open Turing and everything seems to be working.

I guess I could use another language but this one is unique Very Happy

So does anyone else know why it's named after Alan Turing?
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:20 am   Post subject: Re: RE:What is Turing?

TheTuringTest @ November 12th 2021, 9:43 am wrote:

Not exactly sure, never saw any mention of why online. I do know it is the successor of an earlier project from the two men who made this language called Euclid.

Maybe they wanted to keep in the same theming of names.

Without knowing this Euclid language perhaps this was their first attempt at a Turing Complete language.

Just theories, I know very little about the history of it
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:26 am   Post subject: RE:What is Turing?

I would take a guess that anyone who creates a programming language and especially one for teaching is a bit of an ubernerd, and Ada was already taken.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
scholarlytutor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:55 am   Post subject: Re: What is Turing?

According to the original textbook, "Introduction to Programming with Turing", this is the only information I could find:

"Turing (named after Alan M. Turing) was developed by Ric Holt and James Cordy at the University of Toronto in 1984. Like Pascal before it, Turing was designed to suit personal computers, where the instructions are typed in directly. Turing was more powerful than Pascal and was designed to have a mathematically specified syntax (preventing the development of numerous incompatible versions) and that its syntax was much easier to understand."

While this doesn't answer your question, it does point out that there's a tradition of naming programming languages after famous mathematicians, especially the ones who had something to say that was relevant to computing, such as Ada Lovelace and Alan Turing. Even Blaise Pascal developed a type of calculator back in the 17th century, and of course computers were originally invented to do calculations more quickly and accurately than humans.

Hope that helps!
TheTuringTest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:51 am   Post subject: RE:What is Turing?

I saw that too! I downloaded both textbooks off this website and I've started reading it.

That all makes sense, it's probably just a tradition. I've always admired Alan Turing so when I saw that there's a programming language named after him I got really interested.

Well I've already started learning and I'm going to keep at it. I've got 3 books and the big archive that's here. Let's see how it goes Very Happy
cordy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:56 am   Post subject: Re: RE:What is Turing?

TheTuringTest @ Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:43 am wrote:
Thanks everyone! I downloaded Open Turing and everything seems to be working.

I guess I could use another language but this one is unique Very Happy

The Turing programming language was named after Alan M. Turing at the suggestion of legendary Canadian physicist, computer scientist and educator J.N.Patterson Hume. At the time (early 1980s) it was traditional to name new programming languages after mathematicians, for example, Pascal and Euclid. Pat felt that it made more sense to name a language specifically designed for teaching computer programming after a computer scientist. Prof. Holt and I wrote to the Turing family to ask for their permission to use his name for the new programming language, which at the time was known as "Tiny Perfect Euclid", or TPE, and they granted us that privilege.

Jim Cordy
scholarlytutor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:30 pm   Post subject: RE:What is Turing?

Case closed.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:07 pm   Post subject: RE:What is Turing?

Awesome, I now know more about the language that introduced me to coding.

It's also an honor to hear from Cordy himself, cheers man
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: