Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Goldbach conjecture (Python 3)
Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
ylcc23

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:26 pm   Post subject: Goldbach conjecture (Python 3)

Pretty self explanatory. I'm looking to program Goldbach's Conjecture in python but I need a bit of help. I have a fair amount of the code written already but I need a bit of help with my testGoldbach function.

code:
def nextNumber():
    n = int(input("Please enter 0 or an even integer above 2: "))
    while n < 0 and n <= 2 or n % 2 != 0: #Test to see if the input is valid
        n = int(input("Please enter 0 or an even integer above 2: ")) #If the input is invalid, program prompts the user for another input, and will continue doing so until a valid input is supplied
    return n
#def testGoldbach(n):

def isPrime(n):
    if n < 2:
        return False
    for i in range(2,n):
        if n % i == 0:
            return False
    return True
#def primeAfter(n):

number=nextNumber()
print(number) #For debugging purposes
prime=isPrime(number)
print(prime) #Also for debugging purposes
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:37 pm   Post subject: Re: Goldbach conjecture (Python 3)

What is giving you trouble? Are you unsure of how to check if Goldbach's conjecture holds for a number, or is it something more specific?

For the former, think about how you might check it with pen and paper. Say I give you the number 124, how do you check if it is the sum of two odd primes? (seriously, grab a piece of paper and try it)
Try to figure out how you can use your approach to check other numbers. Then try to implement it.
   Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: