Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Apple switching to Intel chips
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:27 am   Post subject: Apple switching to Intel chips

http://news.com.com/Apple+to+ditch+IBM%2C+switch+to+Intel+chips/2100-1006_3-5731398.html?tag=nefd.lede

Funny world we live in, where Microsoft is supporting the PowerPC (XBox 360) and Apple is ditching it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

This is like the 50th time I have heard this news, so damm long ago.. when are the y actually going to switch?
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

That article has so many spelling, grammatical, and punctuation mistakes that it's annoying to read, at best, without getting distracted. Eh
Anyways, if the new PCs would cost the same as a standard x86 computer today, I'd buy one the day it comes out. If I'm going to get a Mac, I'm getting a high-end Mac. None of this "Mac mini" bs.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well ur the one complaining about the price of the macs... IBM's chips are extremely expensive... nevertheless the high end models will continue to be PowerPC. These rumors were talked about in mac forums.. and i believe they figured it was a hoax.. but who knows.. all these rumors. sheesh.
betaflye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Interesting, I've been following this rumour for some time and throught Apple would be interested in some of the Centrino technologies, never thought I'd see them consider x86. Darwin the heart of OS X is based on FreeBSD and could easily be ported to x86, I just don't see another architecture switch being good for Apple. I pray this isn't the final nail in their coffin.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yea i want Cell..
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
well ur the one complaining about the price of the macs... IBM's chips are extremely expensive... nevertheless the high end models will continue to be PowerPC. These rumors were talked about in mac forums.. and i believe they figured it was a hoax.. but who knows.. all these rumors. sheesh.

Oh, I'm not complaining about them switching over to x86, I think it's a smart move on their part, as it will hopefully cause their prices to drop significantly. They said that they'll switch the lower end macs over to x86 hardware in 2006 and then the higher end ones over in 2007. And yes, a Cell processor based computer would be pretty sweet.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would have hoped at least some of you would be more imaginative and less ignorant than CNet.

Intel makes lots of things besides x86 processors. Heck, if memory serves, Intel makes some of the chips that sit on a G5's motherboard. Yes, Apple is in talks with Intel about processors. The chances it has anything to do with CPUs? Next to nil.

ARM (Xscale) processors, PCIe controllers, Wi-Fi chips, heck even Intel manufacturing PowerPC chips is more likely than Apple switching to x86.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
well ur the one complaining about the price of the macs... IBM's chips are extremely expensive...

The pricing of Macs is competitive with other major retailers. Apple simply doesn't sell crippled boxes with chintzy parts dirt-cheap.

On that note... IBM's processors are singificantly less expensive than Intel or AMD's for a large purchaser like Apple.

Get your facts straight.
betaflye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Just because it's about processors and it is Intel doesn't mean we are discussing x86 at all, perhaps Apple is considering Intel to manufacture PowerPC based processors.
md

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I highly doubt Apple would switch from such a nice processor as the PowerPC chip to the horrible mess that is the x86 line. If you've ever done any research into x86 chips you quickly learn how concoluted the instruction set is, and how absurd all that backwards compatibility is.

If there was any justice in the world we'd all be using RISK processors; and running linux on them. If I had my way x86 would be dead, and PowerPC (or more likly more powerful) chips would be the norm.

[edit]
Fine. Since you have a valid point; in a perfect world all PC's would be running on MIPS processors.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Since I've chided the Intel and AMD fanboys, I have to chide you too, Cornflake. Smile

It's really a stretch to say that there's much "reduced" about the PowerPC instruction set. Further, the cores of most x86 processors these days are about as RISC-y as it gets.

This, however, does not mean that the PowerPC isn't better, just that the debate is more complex than that. The complexity of the issue is just one more reason for Apple not to wander into the x86 world at this stage.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh please dont call me an intel fanboy.. i hate intel soo much.. if i were to choose x86 over ppc i'd go with amd... but ppc is always my prefered choice (along with an altivec unit)...

nevertheless i still hope for cell..
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

How can you 'hate' a company? What has Intel done to you that makes them deserve your hatred?

Anyway, Apple is expected to make an announcement about this later today, so stay tuned.
betaflye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Can't wait for the WWDC Keynote...
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 36 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: