Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 sumthin non-turing related
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:35 pm   Post subject: sumthin non-turing related

i kno this has nuthin to do wit turing or programming in general but i was jus wonderin if anybody knew some advantages/disadvatages of RAM over say a different type of memory (like ROM)... if u can think of anything it would b appreciated
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Asok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

um.. RAM = Temporary storage you can write to, ROM = Read-Only storage.

They can't really be compared as far as advantages/disadvantages because they are both used for entirely different processes.

As such I'll assume you meant different types of RAM. And that is more dependent on the processor type. ie. I would reccomend a pentium user use SDRAM and a Athlon user use DDRRAM. This is the typical set up. As far as other forms of RAM, SRAM is used primarily as cache you're not going to get a stick of SRAM, it's simply too expensive to be practical.
Blade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what asok says is true... for the "old" p3's you have to use SDR RAM, for the newer athlons use the DDR, and same with the p4's... DONT USE RIMM RAMBUS! they cause heating problems with your computer and will wear out ur hardware faster...
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

damn, I was just gonna tell you to get yourself a stick of RDRAM...

Think about it, 3Ghz processor, 800Mhz FSB (well the newest one, 533 otherwise). Why get 133Mhz ram? get 800Mhz RDRAM :8... and maybe a better cooler for it Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Blade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

of course rdram runs much faster... but why risk overheating problems when you can get ddr at 433? its still quite fast... lol
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: